New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out this oldie !
As soon as I got in my stand this morning I had deer around me. I walked in with Tink's 69 on my feet. I had big Y buck come right down the trail sniffing my tracks and sticking his nose up in the air curling his upper lip back. They're gettin ready.
At one time I had 8 does on the bait at one time. Then out walks the doe that towered over everyone else. It was all grey in the face. I figured she had lived a full life, and now it was time to end it. The arrow went through both lungs, she went about 30 yds. Stopped and then quietly collapsed. I was able to see her the whole time.
When I got to her, she, turned out to be a HE
[confused]
He looked as though he never had a horn in his life. He was so old that some of his teeth were loose. I dam near dulled my pelvic saw he was so tough. He'll easily break 100lbs., which is big for any pine deer.
I figure either he NEVER had any horns, or he was so old that he was at the extreme end of his antler growth downslide. There isn't even a mark where the horns would have been.
I think this guy will make great sausage, cause I don't think my teeth are strong enough his gnarly old A$$ made into steaks

:D

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I have seen this before, this deer went and had himself a sex change operation. You probably got him before he had his penis removed :D:D:D
Nice job there 911

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
How old do you think he is?

I know geldings (artificial or natural) will produce stunted growth antlers. Its possible that the old boy's testosterone production had been halted after a shedding cycle.

I'm sure there is a deer scientist out there that could give you a good answer.

Or check the bible: the Whitehead Encyclopedia of Deer

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
See he was the smart Buck. He figured why grow horns and have to fight for the Doe's when I can skip on the antler growing and blend with the Doe's this way he does not have to chase the Doe's he can just hang with them and get some when he wants cause he don't have to fight or chase them. Very smart Deer all the lost and loose teeth are from biting all them Doe's necks while getting some. :D

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I have never known a deer to have horns only antlers. now sheep, cattle and goats have horns...;)

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I figure that maybe some of the corn I'm feeding them has some of the hormones in it that they are feeding to our beef cattle nowdays. Something has to be making todays girls grow bigger TA TA's. Maybe it's causing the bucks to stop growing horns [sad]
At any rate, it's off to the check station, then to the butcher's grinder ( hope it doesn't break )

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
That Deer just looks like a Doe. Kinda like it never had antlers at all. You know how you can tell the difference just in the shape of the face alone this Deer has the face of a Doe?? Very Strange?[confused]

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey pla30, I'll check the teeth chart at my butcher's. As far as his Testerone level goes, I don't know if they worked, but he was hung like a horse :D:D:D
I have never known a deer to have horns only antlers. now sheep, cattle and goats have horns...
OK, I slipped, either, or, he had none :D

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
I'd like to see the skull.

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
Man that is an odd one. I'm sure a biologist would like to see this one.

Out of the closet buck I guess. Used his lack of antlers to lure in the young bucks! hermaphidite?:D

911 shoots gay deer!

Congrats on the harvest 911.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now that I think back, he did kinda " SWISH " his way to the bait pile :p
And none of the " GIRLS " on the bait even gave him a second look :D

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Post pics of skull!

·
Registered
876 Posts
Congrats on your interesting deer. Did he have buttons or bumps on the skull at all?
I shot a full grown male about 15 years ago that was similar, but he had small buttons barely protruding. He was also blind in one eye.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts