New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nice to see that the CO's were out this weekend measuring fish at the docks [up] Still think we need more CO's on the job helping to protect NJ's resources. They were also handing out cards with minimum fish sizes and limits to people heading out.

I knew this guy was a paying a fine when his answer to what the minimum size on fluke is was "uhh, there's a a minimum size on fluke?"

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
I knew this guy was a paying a fine when his answer to what the minimum size on fluke is was "uhh, there's a a minimum size on fluke?"
wow[eek] Everyone should take the time to make themselves aware of any regulations for the species they plan to target. Most of the regulations are posted at ramps and tackle shops and easily accessed through the F&W website.

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
tell me about it. i saw chinese guys yesterday that i thought were keeping some shorts. i asked him if they were catching anything and they said only babies.

we caught 27 fluke and only one take home. some only need to grow 1/2 inch more.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
That CO checked our fish and cautioned me on one. I asked him to check my measuring stick to his and mine came up 1/4 inch short. All he said was to make sure the flukes mouth was closed completely. Then he got that clown behind us with some shorts. If he wanted to be a prick he could have nailed us for the one that was less than a quarter short.

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
[up]
glad they were out catchin ppl like that!

sucks for that guy.
"officer I didnt know there was a fluke size"
(as he walks away with a tshirt with fluke on the back)[rofl]

·
Registered
201 Posts
I will put it this way...It costs us 100+ to fill the boat with gas..20+ for bait...20+ for lunch and drinks..and I live in warren county so its an hour an a half ride to the highlands. Now I'm not greedy but when i go fluking I go home with a meal...every time...regardless of 18 inches. If the trawlers are keeping at 14 im damn sure going to get a meal out of my 200 dollar day.

·
Registered
13,237 Posts
I will put it this way...It costs us 100+ to fill the boat with gas..20+ for bait...20+ for lunch and drinks..and I live in warren county so its an hour an a half ride to the highlands. Now I'm not greedy but when i go fluking I go home with a meal...every time...regardless of 18 inches. If the trawlers are keeping at 14 im damn sure going to get a meal out of my 200 dollar day.
So just because you pay for fuel and bait like everyone else your going to keep shorts? Your exuses are lame[down]

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
So just because you pay for fuel and bait like everyone else your going to keep shorts? Your exuses are lame
i agree. [down][down] I hope you get caught one of these days and get a nice hefty fine.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
now this is not very smart. Dude, think before you type.[down]

·
Registered
497 Posts
DANIMAL52 ?????((((I will put it this way...It costs us 100+ to fill the boat with gas..20+ for bait...20+ for lunch and drinks..and I live in warren county so its an hour an a half ride to the highlands. Now I'm not greedy but when i go fluking I go home with a meal...every time...regardless of 18 inches. If the trawlers are keeping at 14 im damn sure going to get a meal out of my 200 dollar day)))))))

I hope you don't shoot a doe in buck season just because you bought shot gun shells and paid for gas to drive to your favorit hunting spot

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
will put it this way...It costs us 100+ to fill the boat with gas..20+ for bait...20+ for lunch and drinks..and I live in warren county so its an hour an a half ride to the highlands. Now I'm not greedy but when i go fluking I go home with a meal...every time...regardless of 18 inches. If the trawlers are keeping at 14 im damn sure going to get a meal out of my 200 dollar day.
i cant really believe that you would even post something like that

...when we take my boat out it costs $300-$500 in gas...its a 2.5 hour drive to my boat from my house, bait-$15-$20, $20 or more for food and drinks and ice...on top of all that slip fees..and i wouldnt even think of keeping a short...we go out fluking and catch 15 or more shorts sometimes and we come home with nothing at all...[wallmad]

·
Banned
2,514 Posts
There are size min to help control the future of our fishing!!!! if we all kept the small ones when my kid has kids there wouldnt be any to catch. dont be selfish here. if u need a meal save 190 bucks and go to shoprite and buy some for ten bucks. u spend 200 bucks for the sport of it, not to feed urself. if thats the case and ur spending 200 buck gambling on the case weather or not u can put food on the table u have ur priorities wrong my friend....[wallmad]

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
1/2 inch more.
It will by sept. and then goodnight Irene see ya on the next rip.[hihi][hihi]

They her got just figured out expect for knowing the amount of fish that was really there.:p

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
i cant really believe that you would even post something like that
There are size min to help control the future of our fishing!!!!
Most statements are based on the lack of Knowlege and just talk.

Arrow theres as manu fluke today as there ever was and quality fish as well. this is not based on the future at all.

Go on the bass barn and read some of the knowlegable posts from Bucktail Willie. Now whether what he says is true or not I don't know enough myself about the flukes cyle.

One thing i do now is is not every fluke comes inside and I know the Comms clean up scalloping in a bycatch and theres not enough know yet and there should be in this day and age of science.

·
Registered
201 Posts
It kind of bothers me how "holier than thou" every one can be on here.

There are size min to help control the future of our fishing!!!
Its not Joe Fisherman that hurts the fluke population, it the commercial guys killing everything they drag up. I'm not talking about filling coolers with shorts, maybe that wasn't clear. Besides, no one on here has ever used a fluke belly or two for bait? And if I get caught so be it, I know the risks, its like any thing else in life. I don't think the few fish I take home on my 3 or 4 trips a year are damaging anything.

Also, whats it been 18 inches for 2 or 3 years now? So why are all the fish consistently short? Shouldn't those 100 17 inches I threw back last year be 18 by now? Its all a sham. With all the commercial fishing nothings going to change, except that sooner or later the size will be 25 inches or none at all while they continue to drag up every 14 incher they see.

I hope you don't shoot a doe in buck season just because you bought shot gun shells and paid for gas to drive to your favorit hunting spot
I shoot does during buck season because I paid for a tag, its fun, and because you can't eat the antlers.

·
Registered
201 Posts
To make sure its not taken out of context....

I shoot does during buck season because I paid for a tag, its fun, and because you can't eat the antlers.
I mean I bought a doe tag, not just the buck tag.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts