New Jersey Hunters banner

141 - 160 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
I was hit in the face with pellets, luckily I was wearing glasses and they bounced off. That was a long time ago (45 years), but it's something you just don't forget.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Boy do I miss Grouse... [eyeroll]

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
I've taken 3 on the ground. 1 I shot it and it hit the ground running full tilt. My wife was laughing her ass off as I chased it 75 yds to the field edge where it was do or loose it. 2 Was a few years earlier when I hit the bird with my .410 (that I love and still have) it wasn't dead and tried to get away when I instinctively pulled my buck and had a 5 yd throw to bag it. The 3rd was when the bird wouldn't fly and after 100yds of following it hid behind a log and just showed it's head. Perfect shot and no pellets. May I also add that while going to my stand one morning I found a fresh warm killed pheasant probably due to the cold that evening before while stocking. I picked it up and placed it on a stump facing away from hunting traffic. Sure enough 15 min after shooting time I hear a shot and upon leaving found someone shot and took it , not knowing it was already dead. Had a slight chuckle but wondered what some people will do for a bird. Turned one dude in , he shot 2 birds before time, 1 took 2 shots out of a tree. He told his dog to leave them there.. Hours later he offered my wife and I some birds so he could keep on hunting. 2 Months later I ran into the warden and inquired, they got him his gun and maybe the vehicle, they had over 100 reports on this guy. Sorry for the rant but waiting on some stew while celebrating our great victory this am. Ps I have also searched threw thick briars getting shredded for a bird I would swear was dead. My clothes looked liked rags when I was done but I will never give up. You owe you quarry regardless of size that much.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Spot and stalk pheasant is the ultimate hunt. I just get up on a hill and glass all day. When I see a bird I like it's time to put the stalk on em'.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
This makes no sense .... So you are saying that while in the presence of your son or dog there is no safe shot other than in the air?
Lets just say, drink after the hunt.....was hunting assunpink years back when a fellow hunter, not with us, swung around and shot at a ground bird and didn't realize there was a dog behind him? gun did get unloaded and handed over before the confrontation. Should have stated, safe shot yes, to all the yahoo's NO!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Shooting pheasant on the ground is known as a ......Flatbrook flush.
long time ago in Seacaucus ,head shots with 22 shorts
At on time there were a few shooting places where the Meadowlands are located,one just off Rt.3, the other was a rundown place with beer bottles all over the ground,but the way the trap house was located,the Manhattan skyline was the backdrop ...over by the airport was loaded with pheasants

·
Registered
808 Posts
Ive winged them after flushing and to be ethical and humane so it didn't suffer finished it off on the ground. That's the only time I would do it. Ive seen plenty of guys at Blackriver just nailing them while they are roosting on the ground or on a tree branch. Ive got a problem with that.

·
Registered
659 Posts
No ground swats, no bed bugging, no sound shots. We have enough assholes out there already.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I see guys shooting pheasants on the ground and in trees for that matter. To each his own but i don't see the fun in that nor is it particularly challenging.

·
Registered
125 Posts
See guys shoot them out of trees assunpink at legal shooting time, they claimed them prior but thought they atleast would of spooked them out lol New Yorka's lol

·
Registered
808 Posts
See guys shoot them out of trees assunpink at legal shooting time, they claimed them prior but thought they atleast would of spooked them out lol New Yorka's lol

See a lot of that at Black River almost every weekend. Guys stand under the tress and shoot at them. Most times they miss, and the birds don't even move. Last week guy took 3 shoots before knocking it out of the tree.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Pushed a bird all the way down a field dog tracking with multiple points eventually bird ran out of grass and held at the edge. Guy leaving stops truck loads gun and shoots it on the ground about 30 yards in front of me. Ugh

141 - 160 of 160 Posts