New Jersey Hunters banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
11,226 Posts
If you know bigger "are" around why not wait?
If you shoot him then the other older, bigger buck you didn't shoot will be that much bigger next year! Then again if you shoot a spike then both deer will be bigger bucks next year...Then again, if you p [no swearing please] them up again next year they will be older, bigger bucks the year after...again...Why stop there..... P [no swearing please] them again and hey....who knows... Maybe you'll harvest .OOPS. Kill a NJ record book buck in 6 or 7 years.... So what, if you didn't get to enjoy the feel of antlers in your hand or meat on the table for 6 or 7 years....You now have something to BRAG about!

Then again... How long do you think your going to live for??? How many hunting seasons do you really have left???? If that buck will put a smile on your face today then I suggest you take it because you just never know when the game is over.....

You taking that buck or any buck for that matter leaves a different buck you would have taken to grow for next year....

Do what makes you happy! There will be a better buck out there growing no matter what buck you decide to take....

Have fun everyone.... life is just too short to sweat the little things!!!!![up]

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
I've seen bucks you've gotten in the past, so for the areas you hunt, and because you are questioning it, I'd say probably not. For me, where I hunt on public lands...I'd be shooting.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I am not a trophy hunter by any standards. Does, spikes, 4's through 10's. I've shot them all. It all depends on the time of season and what kind of season I'm having if I let a legal deer walk. But I also hunt pressured property so you don't get to many second chances. If he would show up in daylight you would be wasting a good opportunity if you didn't shoot that buck

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
you crazy I would never waste an aroow on that[sleep]

·
Registered
837 Posts
I'd definitely send an arrow his way!!! He could use another year or two,but whats the chance of anyone else passing him up??? If you think he'll make it till next year the p [no swearing please] him..In my area he'd be in the freezer!!!

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
I've seen bucks you've gotten in the past, so for the areas you hunt, and because you are questioning it, I'd say probably not. For me, where I hunt on public lands...I'd be shooting.
I agree. In fact, I used to p [no swearing please] young bucks like him (and bigger) on state land with the bow, in waits for a really nice mature buck. Then I realized there was an open barrel of glue in my bedroom that I had been breathing in on a daily basis.

Id p [no swearing please] him if I were you. Good luck either way![up]

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
If you know he can make it, let him go another year. Next year he could make a big jump. As the qdma says let him go so he can grow!

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
As far as a shooter for you...well that is up to you and what you want to take. This was discussed here before...are there bigger bucks around? does this guy have a good chance of survival? do you see him often? what would he look like next year since he is only 2.5? (he would be a real hog given his present rack body) most importantly would you be happy with him or would you feel like you were settling? all good questions to ask yourself. Usually if you are questioning taking a deer I would say p [no swearing please] but if you see him in front of yur stand and you start to get really excited then I would say take him. all things considered do what makes you happy:)

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
It seems that 99% of the time when you let one go in hopes of them getting bigger, they get smarter too. And then you never see them again until some 12 year old stumbles into the check station on youth day [smirk]

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Have to say guys - 38 posts and no arguing - seperate opinions - all over the map regarding what you would do - good to see it for change!

I'm willing to go with out getting a buck - and plan to let him p [no swearing please] unless he is bigger live under my tree than he is in the pic. One more year to fill out some mass.

To each his own -

21 - 40 of 71 Posts