New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

OK - what do you say - he's 2.5 years old - not a big deer - could make it through - bigger in the area, although I have not seen them yet - but I know they are here -

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
He's a bit young. Great genetics though. That's a pretty rack nicely shaped, and symmetrical. He could use a little more mass, but he ain't gettin by me. I'd put him down, and with a pretty rack like that...I'd hang him on the wall. Is that a zone 5 deer??

·
Registered
15,483 Posts
private property and youre the only one that hunts it..maybe so he gets a chance to hopefully get a few does pregnant and p [no swearing please] his genes on..otherwise meat will be on the table and rack on the wall

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Depending on the area and what it holds,I say no.If he is only 2.5 and on a large piece of private land then let him grow

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
In NJ it's close to impossible to manage a deer herd, so letting a buck walk, probably only gives "you" a good feeling.
When that buck crosses over to the next property, he'll probably get laid out or possibly tatooed by a vehicle.

·
Registered
21,476 Posts
You don't need to shoot him if there are bigger deer in the area [spy]

Save your buck stub I''ll harvest him and you wait for a bigger buck :D just pm me where you've seen him and I'll handle the rest [hihi][hihi][hihi]

I seriously thing if he went another year or 2, he would be and amazing buck, if there is a really good chance he'll survive another year or 2 then you could let him walk and wait for the big pay off, but here in N.J. odds are against him, but do what you feel is the best thing for you.

Paul

·
Registered
15,483 Posts
harvest[confused]

its not a crop, its a living animal,,you can shoot him or kill him or hunt him.....i never understood the politocal correct BS harvest [down] ok back to the main topic :D

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
120" maybe.. Respectable buck If you know bigger "are" around why not wait?

It is up to you though...

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Is there a debate? Unless you hunt a fenced in preserve or are after a bigger deer, this buck could be whacked by a car tomorrow or wander off the property during the rut and get shot.

·
Registered
14,076 Posts
Shoot him now and tomorrow you'll wish you were out still hunting. If not this year then next or the year after. He may look bigger in daylight and you can change your mind and take him. If your not planning on a mount and you know theres better potential then you answered your own question. It is a beautiful rack but maybe you wantto outwit a gnarly older codger:D

1 - 20 of 71 Posts