New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You've been in your ground blind watching this nice buck feed into range for over half an hour. You already have fullfilled your EAB obligations, and you are looking to fill the regular season bow buck tag, so this fella looks like the ticket.

The shot is 17 yards, and the wind is blowing from the right to left (3mph). WHAT DO YOU DO?

PICTURE #1

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Let him go, not big enough, especially if its the begining of the season. Not to brag but I have alot of mounts with 3 over 120 class

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know Ian, but do you know how hard it is to find a good pic?

Just imagine its a 140 class.;)

By the way, my answer is.

Dont shoot. The quartering towards angle is just not a shot you want with the bow. If hes stuck around this long, he probably wont leave anytime soon. The wind isnt going to bring him my scent, so I will wait for the proper angle. He may continue on that path, putting him to my right side (awkward to turn and get the shot from that side, but I can make it) Or he may turn back and give me a great broadside shot. Once the angle improves, the arrow will fly!;)

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Then yes, I would shoot!!!! I know it is a semi, tough shot, but if you are confident enough you will place a good shot, then I would go for it.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh I forgot to mention, if you would shoot, you have to tell us where you would be aiming.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
I will be aiming for one of the eyes! :p I would aim righ in front of the shoulder, or if he isnt spooked wait for a better broadside shot.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just so you know, you will hit some heavy brisket and leg bone right in the front of the shoulder. Youd be better off waiting like you said.

I dont recommend the shot, but if you are gonna let the arrow fly. Put the pin TIGHT to the BACK of the front leg fold. This would result in one lung, and a liver. A fatal hit! You better be accurate though, because too far back and you have guts. Too far forward and that arrow is gonna go SMACK right into the leg bone/shoulder blade, depending upon height of the shot.

Hopefully this game can help some of the newbies decide shot selection.[up]

·
3,413 Posts
Here's one for ya.........

Shoot or don't shoot???
PICTURE #2

·
Registered
282 Posts
then it depends on your shooting ability. if you dont shoot and practice a lot, p [no swearing please] this shot and wait for a better shot but there are some extremly good archers that can make that shot with confidence.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
I would take that shot every, and any day of the week, they say its bad luck, but that is one hell of a trophy!!!!

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Heres the 2nd shot. If you are answering both, just make sure to specify, 1st, 2nd and so on...because I will be adding pics to this thread periodicly.:)

You're 16 feet up your tree, bow in hand. You've ranged these two bucks at 33 yards. The wind is in your face at (1 mph). You took your EAB doe this morning, and now you have a "once in a lifetime" chance at a really nice velvet buck.
What do you do?
PICTURE #3

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
3rd buck... I would take the shot, because I know that I practice up to 40 yards, so I would be confident that I would make a clean shot.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Man Bacs, thats a tough one. I mean thats a perfect shot, but Im not sure I want to take that monster albino.

Hmmm....I couldnt tell you unless I was put in that position. Id have to decide right then and there.

But I would be aiming using his off leg as a reference and the part of the front shoulder crease that goes in towards the front of his body as the other. Should get two lungs, and clip the heart.[up]

On the third buck I can easily make a 33yd shot, but I will wait for him to step and move that front leg forward. Any second now! THWAP! WHOOO HOOO...I hope I remember not to jump out of my treestand when I shoot that beautiful velvet buck!:D

·
3,413 Posts
Here's one for ya.........

Shoot or don't shoot???

Bacs to Camera man: Big Buck
Camera man to Bacs: Albino, bad luck
Bacs to Camera man: BIG BUCK DOWN!!!!

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
HEY BACS, can you edit this thread to put numbers next to all the pics, or maybe even put the pics in one post labeled with the numbers and stories? Might make it easier for people to look it over... If you cant, thats ok.:)

Heres your chance at an elk. A 7x7 if I remember correctly (we saw so many its hard to recall):D

He is 23 yards away! The wind is blowing HARD from the left. Maybe (30mph) What do you do?

PICTURE #4

·
3,413 Posts
HEY BACS, can you edit this thread to put numbers next to all the pics, or maybe even put the pics in one post labeled with the numbers and stories?
Sorry Matty, can't edit on this board. Good idea though.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh yeah, I just assumed you were a moderator here.
Shoulda checked.

Maybe one of the mods can do as I suggested. Please!:)

By the way, on that elk, I will be holding on that dark spot behind his shoulder. Not the bottom one, but the one up from that and to the left. That strong wind might effect the shot, but not much at 23 yards. Someday I hope to actually be sitting in a scenario like that one. I would LOVE to go on a bowhunt for elk.[up]

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
#1) I would let him go, reason for that is He looks to be about 2 1/2 yrold. Also I don't like to take a shot thats not broadside or quartering away.

If he moves to the right 1 or 2 steeps and stops... Sorry... Still let Him walk. ( I beleave in Deer Management)

#2) Let Him walk Too, He is way to Kool looking to shoot... I know there will be a Donkey in the next tree that will shoot him , BUT NOT ME..

#3)Let him take 1 step more and BAM.... Dead Deer Down..

#4) Pull out old Smoke'n Betty.... and KaPow.... Elk Steaks for dinner.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
All of them shoot,

#1, Just in front of the foreleg, with 80lbs of KE, brisket is not stopping my arrow from a complete p [no swearing please] through.

#2, Shoot, yes way cool alive, but probably a detrement to the herd because of the genetic disorder (anyone know the survival rate of offspring from albino or piebald deer?)

#3, Just behind the shoulder, may let him take a step to see if he puts his head down at ease.

#4, Elk steaks all around.

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
#1 I would't shoot at that angle.If he's not spooked he will eventually turn and give you a better percentage shot.Be patient.
#2 No question, I'd shoot.
#3I personally don't like the Velvet antler look.I'd pass. If he was out of velvet I'd shoot.
#4 I'd shoot a bit left to compensate for the wind.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts