New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any of you guys do any shed hunting? if so how many do you find a year on average? where are your most productive areas feeding areas, bedding areas, or trails leading to and from etc?

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Any where they may inadvertently rub their rack where they walk. Thickets, scrub pines etc.. Another good area is along fence lines. I have had good luck there when they land if they have to jump the barbed wire to get into or out of a field many times you'll find a few there as they sometimes fall off when they land.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
I went shed hunting twice last year. Scouted them out, found where they were and got a shot at a good one both times.

Heres a pic of the first shed I shot (you can see it in the background);

Heres the second one I shot. This one made the home depot book.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
As you can tell, these werent canned hunts. Some guys shoot them right in the Lowes parking lots. Wheres the sport in that?[down]

·
Registered
14,076 Posts
The best shed I ever found was when I rolled over a 6 pointer that I arrowed and he died on a 4 point shed. Does that qualify as a 10 pointer?

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
I never really put any effort into shed hunting... although... I guess taking hikes in the woods count.

I only ever found one shed... and I was not even trying. I was in the Poconos with my dad splitting/piling firewood...

...one time I bent over to pick up a log...and bingo... there was a lone spike/luknikk doe shed laying on the ground. I made a key chain out of it.

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
As you can tell, these werent canned hunts. Some guys shoot them right in the Lowes parking lots. Wheres the sport in that?
LOL!! Nice sheds Matt I got one in my back yard its at least 10x20

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I was told I couldn't hit the side of a barn, Maybe I should try shed hunting.:D

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
You know just sit there and laugh at the poor defensless sheds.. They have no room to run away from the terrible plight that awaits them. Shed hunters lurking in the wide open backyard spaces just salivating over the chance to shoot them and watch them die a horrible death. Then plastering their website with photos of the poor defensless sheds just standing their awaiting their terrible fate. One of these killing machines even went so far as to post a picture of the weapon he utilized to draw the life blood from this defensless creature, with the creature listing to the left in the photo from a less than humane and perfect shot. It's enough to make you come unhinged at just the thought of shed hunting let alone the sight of it on a website full of killing machines.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Hey Matty, are those QDMA sheds? And are they fenced in? If they are, that wouldn't make it very sporting, would it?

David

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Yoda, its QSM (Quality Shed Management) Get it straight man. When we popped the door on the first shed, we aged it at 2.5. The other shed was guessed at 4.5.

Both were hunted under fair chase conditions.

Tell you what too, its not that hard to stalk these things, and the shot placement isnt that critical, but man alive is it hard to drag these suckers out.

Forgot to mention that these sheds seem to eat anything. The first one I gutted had old bicycles, figure skates, snow tires, and garden tools in it. The other one had eaten a lawnmower and a pallet of fertilizer...YUCK!

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Let me guess, if you grab it by the wrong spot it'll bite you with a splinter.

Oh sorry... [sad] I should be shunned. Let me repeat it 10 times...

It's QSM, QSM, QSM, QSM....

David

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Oh HA HA HA.....you're so funny Ian.

You still couldnt hit one with the bow.:p:D

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Wait, I take that back. You COULD hit the broadside of a shed with your bow. IF YOU THREW YOUR BOW AT IT IN FRUSTRATION....after emptying a quiver full of arrows at it. :p :D

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Kris, I dont want to be a tattle tale, but Ian is hijacking the thread still. :):p:D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.