New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
11,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you interested in shed hunting this will be a good week to get out there. With the fresh snow coming you will be able to see where the deer are moving,feeding,bedding ect. ect.. Find the active places in the snow then go looking in those areas for sheds when the snow is gone. Good Luck!

·
11,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got out after this latest snow and did some scouting behind my house. I found a great cut through the deer use to get around a nieghborhood and over a steep mountain. There is a ton of tracks going in both directions! Now that I see the tracks in the snow it makes so much easier to figure out why they cross there. This is the best time of year to scout what the deer do in the later seasons! I think these deer use this cut through all year long! Now that I see where they cross it makes a lot of sense to me! Could be trouble for Mr. Buck next year!

·
11,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More snow expected on Monday and Tuesday! After that snow I'll have to double check my findings from the first post-snow scout! See if the new tracks are in the same area. After the snow is gone I'll get back out there and look for sheds!

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
i just got back from checking out a new state spot. This is a year or two old state spot. I saw plenty of tracks but only 1 deer. I didn't find any sheds though. the spot is to small though. it would be tough to hunt. maybe 40 acres if that.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Snowing like heck up here along Weldon Road in Jefferson Twp.
You're in Jefferson?... I grew up in sparta... my mom still lives there.

A great way to find sheds (although it's kinda cheating in terms of shed hunting) is put upright pieces of rebar about 2 feet long in the ground and put a bait pile right in the middle of it. The deer will gently bang their antlers on it as they're feeding and you'll find sheds in and around the bait pile.

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
i also heard of guys using 5 gal buckets. put your bait in it and use bungy cords over the top.

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
i have no idea. i have never saw this only have heard about it. i worry about a buck walking around with a bucket on his head. i say just let it happen naturally.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
I have a couple antler/ shed traps . One I made and one I bought . Next time I'm out in the woods I'll take pictures of them .

I wouldn't use a cargo net like some do since the antlers could get tangled in it when they are not ready to drop .

I have only found two sheds . I never really looked for them . This is the first year I really went out looking . No luck yet !

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
i have no idea. i have never saw this only have heard about it. i worry about a buck walking around with a bucket on his head. i say just let it happen naturally.
what you do is hang it from a branch and string a old basketball net above it, the rack gets stuck in the net and the bucks head doesn't. I saw it done once it was cool looking how it works.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Heres a link to one I use . I found it on e-bay and got it for $30 . !LINK FOR SHED TRAP HERE

I would becareful with traps that can get tangled to the antlers when they are not ready to drop them . This trap has a cinch system . If the antlers get in to the bungees and they are not ready to drop the bungees will come undone when the buck pulls his head out .

Only down fall is the tree rats eat alot of the corn

1 - 17 of 17 Posts