1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
11,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Surfer was likely attacked by young great white
Wednesday, June 08, 2005
BY ALEXANDER LANE AND TOM FEENEY
Star-Ledger Staff
A Long Beach Island surfer lost a chunk of flesh from his leg in what experts said yesterday was very likely an attack by a young great white shark.

It would be the state's first shark attack in 30 years, and an ominous entree to tourist season on the Shore.

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/index.ssf?/base/news-1/1118213412120411.xml&coll=1

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
JAWS 2005 and it still isn't safe to goto the beach. Lets see if they find and kill this shark and the Anti's will be out on that one too.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Don't be alarmed, Im sure the commisioner will make a statement "There are no great white sharks on the jersey coats."

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I don't know if any of you every read the book/audio tape of Micheal Capuzzo's "Close to Shore", but it is an excellent account of the famous shark attacks on the Jersey shore in 1916.
I have the audio book, I'll sell for $10 to your door, but if you plan on vacationing at the beach this year, I wouldn't recommend it, LOL.
Contact [email protected] is interested, put "Shark" as the heading, so I don't automatically delete it.

·
3,413 Posts

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
i used to work for a guy who had his leg bit off in the 50 or 60's in sea girt i think it was. every once in awhile i see his name in the star-ledger when they talk about sharks in NJ before the summer.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Folks used to have a place in Surf City. Back in the early 90's I got video of my daughter wanting to approach a 4 ft shark that was alive and had washed up on the beach. Eventually the guards got it by the tail and got it to waters edge and back in. The patrol boat followed it out until it got into deeper water. All in all it had the beach closed for a few hours. Could have got the fin and made some big bucks. Ex wife has the video now. If I showed it to my daughter she would flip. She was probably 4 then. I'll wait for when she gets married.

·
Registered
942 Posts
In 2002 I hook up to a mako while stiper fishing right of the barnegat inlet on a bunker . Had him on for about ten seconds and he jumped and that was it ...what a awsome feeling that was[up]

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Y'all know me. Know how I earn a livin. I'll catch this bird for ya but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish. It's not like goin down to the pond chasin' blue gills or tommy cots. This shark - swallow ya hole. L'il shakin', l'il tenderizin, down ya go. Now we gotta do it quick, that'll bring back the tourists, that'll put the all your businesses on a payin' basis. But it's not gonna be pleasant! I value my neck a lot more than 3000 bucks chief! I'll find him for three, but I'll catch him...and kill him...for ten! Now you gotta make up your minds. Gonna stay alive and ante up? Or ya wanna play it cheap, be on welfare the whole winter? I don't want no volunteers; I don't want no mates. There's too many captains on this island. Ten thousand dollars for me by myself. For that you get the head, the tail, the whole damn thing.

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
In 2002 I hook up to a mako while stiper fishing right of the barnegat inlet on a bunker . Had him on for about ten seconds and he jumped and that was it ...what a awsome feeling that was
I was down in Ship Bottom the first 2 weeks of Aug 02 and there was talk of someone hooking into a 6 footer up at the inlet. I think he was in a boat. Wonder if that was you.

·
Registered
942 Posts
The day I was out I had two guys from maine that I took out and it was the first week of Aug.That day the two guys slamed the b [no swearing please] and also one of the guys caught a 18 or 20 pound cobia I think it was 41'they got there moneys whorth..

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Last year bluefishing they boat caught more sharks that blues off of LBI. The party boat wasn't allowing anglers to keep them; safety issue. We had to pick up and move, because of the sharks. I guess there are more sharks than I thought.

·
11,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fellow surfers tell their shark tales
Forked River teen joins exclusive club
Thursday, June 09, 2005
BY ALEXANDER LANE
Star-Ledger Staff
Note to Ryan Horton, the surfer who apparently got nipped by a hungry shark off Long Beach Island Sunday: It could have been worse. Ask John Brodeur of Hunterdon County.

Brodeur was bodysurfing in waist-deep water off Sea Girt 45 years ago when a nice wave passed by.

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/index.ssf?/base/news-1/1118294637251260.xml&coll=1

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
Hey Jim, if you read my post above, you see i talk about a guy i used to work with who got his leg bitten off. well there he is...John Brodeur. i used to work at Vanton Pump for 10 years. He's always in the star-ledger at the beginning of the summer. i was just going to put this article in here when i read it in the paper just now.

·
3,413 Posts
The show is on the History Channel right now.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts