New Jersey Hunters banner

shamong township

8K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  rockyoutdoors 
#1 ·
i just picked up a nice 75 acre piece in shamong. we have seen plenty of deer there....mostly does....does anyone else hunt in this area?

#3 ·
i actually just picked up the property last season..i only hunted it twice...could have shot deer both times but i passed...any turkeys in the area? where is your property? im right off tuckerton road...ever take anything big from that area?

#4 ·
I'm on Indian Mills Rd., just down from the WaWa. Yea, we get a few big ones. I took an 8 pointer here last year. 18 in spread and about 140lbs. Year before I got a decent one, 10 pts. weighed in dressed at 168lbs. ( my butcher charged extra for that one:( ) When I get a chance I'll upload a few pix. Ever hunt with a deer club ? I go with a small bunch of locals for shotgun week. We're based out of Chatsworth. You get to know ALOT of ground with these guys. Interested ?

#7 ·
I just drove through that area today out by Medford Lakes. Came back from our youngest son's track meet. (The reason I didn't get out for turkey youth day) First time out there since all that flooding. Amazing to see all those lakes empty. Anyway, that area is full of acres and acres of woods, especially along Jackson Rd. There has to be loads of deer there. I'm surprised to hear there are no turkey.

#8 ·
You don't have to go far from here for Turkeys. Just 2 roads over to Atsion rd., and you'll find lotsa turkeys. And in Medford off Dixiontown Rd. I've see big flocks of up to 20 birds on my bait piles (during Bow Season). But on these farms, I think all the pesticides they are using takes it's toll on the turkey population.

#9 ·
Howdy, I am new to this forum and also new to bow hunting. I have a small horse farm in Tabernacle and I will be going deer hunting this fall 2007 for the first time. Read a lot about how to hunt deer and proper techniques and scouting - not a stranger to scouting for deer or the woods...just never hunted. I am doing it all traditional with longbow and wood arrows/climbing stand. Very conscientious and ethical guy...not young or irresponsible.
I have really no clue where to go other than public land - Wharton State . My farm is only 2.45 acres without woods so I can't hunt my property. Obviously, there are deer all around here. Glad to hear the 8 and 10 point feedback. Short of starting to knock on farmer's doors I need to make a few contacts for the privledge of hunting land...any ideas...Thanks

#10 ·
Welcome to the site[up]

mystic guido is the trad guy on this board and many of us are willin to share.

No such thing as dumb questions on this site.

#16 ·
Chiggers = [mad][mad][mad]

Here's the facts on what they REALLY are.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2100.html

Wvinter,

Contact me when it gets closer to the season, I can put you on some " State" ground that should be really productive. Some places you'll probably never see another hunter during Fall Bow. ( if you don't mind a Pine Barrens paint job on your truck )
My e-mail address is listed in the directory.
I live in Shamong.

#18 ·
Chiggers, going back in my memory. Ah, let's see Christmas Eve Day, 1988, sitting on the beautiful beach of Parris Island, South Carolina. I can still hear the drillie yelling "You boys just ate, let my boys do a little eating!"

I survived, the sand fleas and chiggers.

Ryan

#19 ·
Thanks Nightstalker...sent you an email. Hey, is the 911 mean you are a rescue worker or a police officer? My dad is a retired Captain Camden police and my brother is currently a patrolman with over 10 years in the force. Asking because I know a few cops in the area...could be a small world. Before my wife and I bought our small farm I used to board my horse over on Indian Mills road.

#23 ·
Alright the things on my front steps must not be chiggars because these things you guys are talking about sound vicious and aggressive. The little red buggers on my steps don't do anything but run around in circles. So Again...I don't think we have chiggars in North Jersey.

#24 ·
Oh didn't mention it is Listerine we spray on the horses legs...apparently the little buggers don't like it. Maybe ol' wives tale, but it seems to work or maybe we are not traipsing through chigger territory - which I doubt. I thought those red little guys on your steps are spider mites...I prolly am wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.