New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, NJ federated insurance seems to not cover when one hunter shoots another... and they seem to have a rather small pool of money to pay out from for a large base of clients.
Also, American Hunting Lease Assn. has a Lead Exclusion clause, so if you are shot, it isn't clear that you will be covered. A $5k medical limit is laughable. Can anyone refute this? Does anyone actually request and read the policies before they buy them?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yes you are right.!!!! yes I have gone over the policy my self and with a Insurance company insider and it does not cover much if anything.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
As I understand it, NJSFSC does not cover YOU - it covers damage you may cause. Anything that happens to YOU needs to be covered by your own insurance (health, home owners, etc).

If you shoot another hunter, that should be covered under NJSFSC coverage. If YOU are shot, you are not covered and you need your own health insurance and whatnot. If you fall out of a tree and hurt yourself, that's on you and you need additional insurance. If you fall out of a tree and land on someone else and hurt them, NJSFSC should cover that person, but not you if you are also injured.

It is liability insurance in that sense.

Insurance Coverage | NJ State Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs

Email them and ask questions - that's what I did. It certainly isn't all-encompassing, but its something, and with the piece of paper in hand saying you have SOME kind of insurance, private landowners might be more willing to give you permission (more so with it than without it).

As for the bucket of money, its $1,000,000 across all policy holders. I asked and they said they never ran out of the pool of money in a coverage year. Not to say it will never happen, but, odds are the money will be there if you ever need to make a claim. But it definitely is a risk you take with that insurance policy.

For $35 bucks a year or whatever it is, you get what you pay for, but its worth it at that price, I think.

(feel free to correct me in anything I said above, I looked for hunter's insurance last year and didn't spend a lot of time on research. That's the best I can recall from what I learned).

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I also think it says something about committing a crime negates the insurance. If you shoot a house, that's a crime. If you shoot someone else, that's a crime.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts