New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious if anyone out there use any self imposed bag limits whether they are hunting spot specific, time of year or otherwise I was just curious since there are a good portion of unlimited antlerless hunting zones in NJ. If you do not limit your harvest is it because you personally feel there are alot of deer, you don't care, or you simply believe the state fish and game agencies are doing a good job monitoring the population. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I was just curious if anyone out there use any self imposed bag limits whether they are hunting spot specific, time of year or otherwise I was just curious since there are a good portion of unlimited antlerless hunting zones in NJ. If you do not limit your harvest is it because you personally feel there are alot of deer, you don't care, or you simply believe the state fish and game agencies are doing a good job monitoring the population. Thanks.
If you value your sport and the game, you should leave some seed for next year

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Our club allows 2 does / year until last season we upped it to 3- most guys don't take the 3 they are allowed they just take 1 for a buck tag or late season meat.
We also count button bucks as (2) does- if someone shoots a button buck they lose a doe on their limit.
Wow that's a great idea

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Some will shoot many to say, they shot many.. [eyeroll]

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Some will shoot many to say, they shot many.. [eyeroll]
Do you understand the evolution of a hunter? Stage one is a hope to get one. Stage two is kill a limit or as many as possible. Some guys never outgrow it most do. Many of the kill em all guys are only 5/6 years in. They'll change. The last two stages are trophy and equiptment stages. As in making things harder on yourself . Self challenges

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
In my local spot I have to shoot anything or the Farmer will and then get rid of me. On my hunting club property I am more selective.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
I think it depends what is your motivating factor. Are you hunting to eat, for conservation, for a trophy for the wall. I've got my freezer to fill, a few friends who would like venison of their own and I'd like to donate a deer or two. I have yet to hit a self imposed limit, but for people who are hunting to prevent crop damage or on farms... that's a whole different ball game.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Do you understand the evolution of a hunter? Stage one is a hope to get one. Stage two is kill a limit or as many as possible. Some guys never outgrow it most do. Many of the kill em all guys are only 5/6 years in. They'll change. The last two stages are trophy and equiptment stages. As in making things harder on yourself . Self challenges
Well said.

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
I've been hunting for 25 years or so and I'm still in the full freezer stage, and I'm going to stay here, 2-3 deer are all I need to get through the summer with meat, I also give to others when I get more, I'm not a trophy hunter antlers are great to have and I like to see big bucks, don't get me wrong I'll shoot a big boy if I get the chance, be he's not the reason I'm out there.

If my freezer is empty as it is now? I will shoot the first legal deer that gives me a clean shot, be what it may, I have no issues with shooting buttons, they eat the same as any other deer.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I've been hunting for 25 years or so and I'm still in the full freezer stage, and I'm going to stay here, 2-3 deer are all I need to get through the summer with meat, I also give to others when I get more, I'm not a trophy hunter antlers are great to have and I like to see big bucks, don't get me wrong I'll shoot a big boy if I get the chance, be he's not the reason I'm out there.

If my freezer is empty as it is now? I will shoot the first legal deer that gives me a clean shot, be what it may, I have no issues with shooting buttons, they eat the same as any other deer.
Me too! [up]

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
Depends on where I hunt.property with lots of deer I kill more. Less deer I limit myself to a good buck or 1 or2 doe.
For the most part I just like being in the woods in a tree. I'm also for the most part a trophy hunter. I like big Racked bucks. Im not going to judge you for killing whats legal , but don't complain your not seeing buck or does after you shoot a truck load of BB and doe. Kill 15 deer on your small lease and next year your going to see alot less deer except in a select few areas.

·
Premium Member
3,808 Posts
You guys all realize your in jersey right?

The reason the bag limits are so high is because of lack of huntable land and artificially high deer herds.
Game populations are managed through science and what is socially acceptable.
If the dnr biologists decides that deer need to be killed it's because there are to many for the available habitat.
Its the reason that baiting is allowed in jersey.
there are to many deer for the available habitat.
now public land may be over hunted but there just isn't much public land in jersey. Most private land is extremely under hunted and some overflow ends up on public land.
Deer need to be brought into balance with their available habitat or else you go through boom/bust cycles. It doesn't mean kill every deer but it does mean kill a lot.
A unhunted/under hunted herd can triple in size in 3 years.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I used to shoot as many as I could, up to 12 a year. However, I grew out of it. Even though I coul have taken 3 dozen deer last season, I limited myself to just 3 deer. Buck or does. I have enough antlers on the wall so, I hunt for meat, but only shoot larger bucks. In fact, last year I shot the first buck I had taken in 4 years. Even though I had oportunaties at many smaller bucks, I held off. In fact the only reason I shot the small 9 last year was because somebody had wounded it with a arrow and I just felt I should put it dow

·
Banned
5,004 Posts
You guys all realize your in jersey right?

The reason the bag limits are so high is because of lack of huntable land and artificially high deer herds.
Game populations are managed through science and what is socially acceptable.
If the dnr biologists decides that deer need to be killed it's because there are to many for the available habitat.
Its the reason that baiting is allowed in jersey.
there are to many deer for the available habitat.
now public land may be over hunted but there just isn't much public land in jersey. Most private land is extremely under hunted and some overflow ends up on public land.
Deer need to be brought into balance with their available habitat or else you go through boom/bust cycles. It doesn't mean kill every deer but it does mean kill a lot.
A unhunted/under hunted herd can triple in size in 3 years.
Surprised it took 16 posts; well said.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It seems like there's a definite "code" of not to kill more than necessary but if you enjoy hunting and the state lets you do it as much as you want, why would you limit yourself so harshly? Please, explain like I'm 5. I live in the suburbs and there are a LOT of deer. I've had several near misses and hit one Christmas night a couple years ago. Given the choice I would MUCH prefer that those deer be humanely killed than die an agonizing slow death from a car accident.

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
I cant see shooting anymore then your family can actually use. weather it be 1 or 10. After that isnt it the same to just bring your Glen Del to your bait pile and shoot it before you leave every night.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts