New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't ever try to butcher a frozen deer! lol

Well today i decided i was going to butcher my 9 point i got monday. i had it hanging outside since then. I didn't even think about it being frozen. well the hacksaw took the legs off nice and easy but that was it. i brought it in basement maybe around noon and it took all day. hell trying to skin it took 1.5 hours. the quarters were still frozen. it wound up being an all day project. because of that i never got out today. usually i always do it right away but being i have been hunting alot this week i left it. it came out great but what a pain in the a$$. so lesson learned.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
frozen isn't bad when you have a meat band saw.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Made that mistake with mallards.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
IF you can do it---skin warm, let carc [no swearing please] cool, then cut downt to major pieces.

Put these pieces in the fridge to get colder, then cut into smaller portions.

I hang 'em in my garage and skin immediately. Then cracking the window overnight will cool the garage right off.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Frozen skinning is the worst. I used to trap when I was a kid (back in NY). Hated skinning those frozen conibear caught *****. Mink and 'rats usually were in the water, so not frozen solid.

For deer when it is cold, we like to get the skin off, then butcher after the meat has cooled down, but not frozen.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I have done that a couple times. It sucks and hurts your hands.

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
I hang mine in my smoking shed I built when the temp is above freezing, when the temp dips I hang it in my attatched garage which stays about 25-30 degrees when it's really cold out. They take to long to freeze in that temp. In the fall I regulate the temp by opening the doors at night and closing them during the day.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Hey woj, got a new chain saw, wanna try it out!:D

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
it is all done. i brought it into my basement. the skinning was tough. the meat wasn't to bad.

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Self butchering...lesson learned

Wow, considering I knew you were headed for some surgery in the nether regions, I'm glad this topic was about deer and not your boys. :D :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts