New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone..

after a failed attempt to fish for fluke in the surf at Island Beach, I figure the smart thing to do would be to ask for advice from any of your seasoned anglers. I am clueless as to what I am doing.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
752 Posts
A&N you are likely to get as many differing opinions as you will get replies. But for what its worth here's my 2 cents. It has been a generally slow season catching from the surf period. I've done great off the boat in the bay and out front, but the surf has stunk. So you're not alone.

This late in the season many, not at all, but many of the keeper fluke are further out on the various inshore reefs and structure. The bays and surf are two warm for the bigger guys, so you are already fishing at a tougher time of the year if you're targeting fluke.

What kind of rig/set-up are you using?

·
Banned
8,451 Posts
I'm not a big fan of fluking from the beach but I know people who do it and catch nice fish...I believe alot of them use a tandem rig with a metal jig or bucktail on the bottom and a hook about 21inches above that and they use live killies and that Berkeley gulp they swear by pink and green

·
Registered
913 Posts
I agree on somthing: This season have been really bad for me fishing from the surf... simply they are not here. I caught about 12 small ones, no keepers. Different thing from a party boat.

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
I virtually never fish from the beach in the summer, preferring spring and fall instead. While I never target fluke, I do catch some decent ones in early fall. Pretty soon the Albies, if they come in, will be on the beach and blues are when and where you find them. Striper action from the surf typically is a night time thing until October and even November up to and sometimes past the New Year.

The biggest problem fishing NJ's beaches is a lack of structure for the most part. You need to find the bait pouring out of the back bays and headed south along the beach. Find the bait and the predators are typically with them. Fish the few cuts remaining where you can find an outer sand bar cut if the sands haven't been pumped up onto the dune to rebuild the beaches (so-called beach replenishment). Jetties and groins also provide structure as do rips that form in places like Sandy Hook at the true hook and the false hook. Fish the moving tides, but that is not always a steadfast rule of thumb. But more often than not, it is. Also, stay away from Southerly winds when off the beach. I find north or east or a combo to be best. Westerlies will lay the surf flat, but can also keep the bait too far offshore to reach from the sand.

Good luck! If you're there on a day when the big fish are in, it can be very memorable and you might leave with sore arms. But most days are not that way. Look for birds diving, fish slashing in the bait, dark bait balls moving down the beach, etc. The mullet will begin running south at the full moon which isn't too far off. Then silversides, sand eels and peanut bunker follow with fish following them south.

·
Registered
160 Posts
One of my favorite ways to catch bigger fluke from the surf is to liveline snappers (if they are around) as bait. Most times I just use a rubber in line sinker around 1/2-3/4 oz. another way is to fish a 4" fin s fish on a dropper 2 ft. In front of a buck tail or metal dragged slowly. Most fish hit the dropper. Be aware a lot of the fish are in the wash. Try not to overcast.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
we killed the fluke today from the beach. use a 1-2 oz. white bucktail with 4" chartreuse (sp) tail. do more jigging then reeling in , most hits were 15-20 ft. from water line

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
Good points on catching fluke right in the wash. I only fly fish in the surf, and when I catch fluke, it's as I'm bringing the fly out of the water for my next catch nearly at my feet. They love to ambush feed in the broken water right at the surf's edge.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.