New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Many hunters shoot themselves in the metaphorical foot with cover scents.

I’m not saying cover scents are a bad idea. In fact, I use earth scents religiously. However, I do something a little different and I’m confident it makes a big difference.

Whenever I visit my hunting areas (stands, cams, scouting etc) I leave behind a cover scent wafer. Why?? Well, the key to harvesting mature bucks is making them feel comfortable with the sights, sounds and scents in their woods (in reverse order of importance).

Getting the deer accustom to my cover scent makes them ignore it when I’m in the stand. I’ve found some wafers linger for several days. That’s long enough to make a difference, especially when you freshen it up every time you visit the area.

Obviously, the idea of cover scent is to smell natural in the woods but even my nose can tell the difference between a scent wafer and the real thing. If I can tell the difference, you can bet big money a mature whitetail can.

This tip requires spending a little more on scents but, if it fits your budget, I’m confident it will make a difference.

Live for the chase!

Link

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
This totally makes scents I mean sense.[up]

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Hunt the wind and forget about scents and fancy clothing. Didn't need them back in the day, don't need them now.

If you do need a cover scent it should be something fom the area you hunt in, not something purchased in a store.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Great point[up]

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts
[up][up] i actually do the same thing..it def works pretty well

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
go scent free and don't worry about your cover matching exactly.
but if that is what gives you confidence in your hunt, go right ahead.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.