New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious since I'm sort of new to this game we call hunting. I've just recently started to find scrapes in my hunting area, but have not seen any rubs yet. Here's a couple of questions I have:

1) Should I expect to start seeing rubs nearby to these scrapes?

2) Would it be a good idea to hunt in the vicinity of these scrapes?

What would you do?

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Theres probably a rub line somewhere near there. Rub lines are better to hunt, but scrapes can be productive too. You just have to trick the buck into thinking another buck is encroaching on that bucks territory.

If you found a bunch of small scrapes that are not being cleaned out regularly, dont put much effort into hunting them. They make these out of frustration. The good scrapes get bigger and bigger, and have an overhanging branch that they will chew on and rub their pre-orbital glands on. This branch is usually about 3-5 feet high. If you found a few well cleaned out, good sized scrapes, and they are at a meeting of several trails, you may have hit a jackpot. Those are the "mating advertisement" scrapes. Scrapes made to find estrous does.

Bucks normally wont come right to the scrape, and even when they do, nine times out of ten, they will scent check it from downwind. SO NEVER hunt upwind of a scrape. They also seem to check scrapes super early in the am, at midday, and then late at night. So I found the best way to hunt a scrape is to get in there after first light around 9am, and sit it till 2. This way you miss him in the morning and evening, and dont scare him off.

Calling near these areas always helps. Midday calling is some of the best, because they dont expect a hunter to be out there. They have the typical hunter patterned better than we will ever pattern them. You have to think like a hunter, think like a deer, and then change up the game plan to screw everyone up!;)

Good luck![up]

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could you still hunt this area? Say, start off where I normally do. And then slowly move towards the scrape line. What do you think?

David

1 - 3 of 3 Posts