New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that have your doe,be sure to jump right on any scrape lines that you know of, because after the rain the bucks will be right there to freshen them up.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
I went out and hung a stand this evening. Im planning on hunting it Thursday all day if I have no work.

It would be nice to get in there tomorrow, because like you are saying, they will be refreshing all the primary scrapes but I have to work.[down]

Im actually one ridge above all the scrapes anyway, but Ive already seen two shooter bucks up there. Im sitting the front of a saddle that connects the two ridges, and they work their way from a thick area, down the saddle to the "scrape ridge". Its a killer spot mid-morning. Only problem is getting to it, its over a mile walk. It takes forever. By the time I get there Im pooped! Thats why I had to ditch the climber and go with a loc-on.

I opened a mock scrape with a scrape dripper up there tonight as well. Hoping to have Dragthor film me hunting this spot Thur. morning. With any luck, I'll take what looked to be a solid ten point on film. (fingers and toes crossed).

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Matty,

Good luck. Of course the question needs to be asked... How the hell are you going to drag that big boy out of there if it's a mile each way?

David

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Matty,

One serious question for you, will does check out the scrapes or will just bucks do it? I'm asking since I now need a doe since I've just shot my buck.

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
does do check and urinate in scrapes, and from a few books ive checked, on rare occasions have been seen making them. but yoda, if you hunt over those scrapes looking for a doe, you might get frustrated looking at all those bucks kicking around the dirt, haha, good luck

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
I'm asking since I now need a doe since I've just shot my buck.
You didn't get 2 DOEs yet? If you don't mind baiting try putting out a cup or so of corn down the trail from the scrape.... The corn will help bring in the DOEs.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
You didn't get 2 DOEs yet?
No. I have a couple opportunities. The first being the same day I shot my button buck. There was a fawn who didn't run after my shot. I didn't take it because I didn't want to be a glutton and it was small. And the second was a doe that didn't stop walking and I didn't try to stop it.

So, now I've got to hunt the does.

Thanks for the advice.
David

1 - 8 of 8 Posts