New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess we're not permitted to scout on Dix until Wed. I guess I should read the fine print.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
I have been seeing a lot of nice bucks while riding around the ranges. it should be a good year.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The state needs to review the permits issued to Fort Dix. How can you hand out more Muzzleloader permits than extended bow permits ? Someones gonna get hurt during muzzleloader and we have thinning deer herd. The acerage and hunters allowed per area also needs to be re-evaluated for the amount of hunters allowed since their chopping all the woods up. I have been hunting fort dix very hard for the past 15 years and the deer populations is no where near what it used to be. Also they should get rid of the 3 point rule , Iam not seeing bigger bucks with the program , all I see is the guys shooting the small bucks and taking them home. Good Luck to all my fellow Ft. Dix hunters this year , hopefully we have a good season. Atleast there are acorns this year !

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where do most guys hunt on Dix? I have a few places in mind, but I like to stay away from the heavily hunted areas.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Anymore its hard to stay away from heavily hunted areas unless you go where your not suppose to be , but then again people are there too. Just have to hope the deer cross your path. Just have to keep an eye on the sheet and see where everyone is.

·
Banned
1,011 Posts
I have been seeing a lot of nice bucks while riding around the ranges. it should be a good year

Seriously are you trying to get attention on fort dix by constantly putting up that you see nice bucks while you ride around. I for one hunt in the areas that are open to everyone on base.I don't want more pressure then it already has.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Jswany , I couldn't have said that any better. There is enough people who think Ft. Dix has the biggest deer , I just want to know where all those deer are at , I put in hours on hours and I know you do too , the buck are nothing like they were 10 to 15 years ago.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could it be that the destruction of habitat has more to do with the decreasing herd size than over-hunting. South Jersey has developments going up everywhere.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Fort Dix has not been developed there is still alot of woods , there has only been buildings added around hunting areas. Things would be better if the old area 52 side area's 8-13 were still all open then there would be plenty of area for hunters to spread out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.