New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
who here is still doing it i'v been out every sunday since september and will keep on till turkey season is over thats in zone 18 17 51and i need to get to zone 64 before the 11 of jan i'v spent more time scouting that hunting lol but it will all work out

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
I'm out just about every Sunday during hunting season and many Saturdays and Sundays up through the spring and early summer, unless I go fishing! ;) Then in late summer I am back out there hanging stands for the season. Pretty much a year round thing for me, minus a few days I go fishing.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
Double post

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
I scout from Late February until late August.
If you have snow on the ground in late Feb-March that is always a big help[up]

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
For me I scout everyday, year in, year out. Things change, game animals change with seasons and pressure. My tip for late season deer is scout when season is just over at the first snow. Tells the story perfect. You can see print size, and amount used. For turkey road scout in mid-morning around fields, then after locating get in woods early am to hear where the are coming off roost. You now know where they are coming from and going. Just set-up in between. Also, look for roost trees around mid-day. They are covered with droppings and the floor is littered with feathers. Look for dustings at field edges. Remember spring turkey hunting is the same as hunting rutting whitetails.... it's thier breeding season.

Ryan

·
Registered
534 Posts
Drome,
Just be careful with scouting for turkeys at that time of year. Last year I had a flock located during the winter, and come spring, they had moved on. The food sources change, and increased pressure(from guys scouting) made them move on. Which brings up another sore point with me. I don't know why when guys are "scouting" for birds, they CALL. I don't mean Locator calls, I mean turkey calls. All that accomplishes is to educate the birds, and make them call shy.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Since I haven't hunted in New Jersey I have been out looking around in Manchester and Colliers Mills WMAs for a spot for next bow seasons.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
I scout probably less than most.

I have been at this deer hunting business for almost 40 years. I have my places that I hunt. If the sign there doesn't look good in October I check out one of my other areas. I have many places on public land.

There is such a thing as overscouting. That is your presence negitivly effects deer movement patterns.

For turkey I get out in March.. call very little trying to locate where they are roosting...then stay away until I am actually hunting. In the areas I hunt I already know the strutting areas.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I scout all year long. That doesn't mean I dedicate every day to stomping around the woods. Like everyone else I have my regular spots, but it never hurts to look at different areas. If I see a or hear of an area that sounds promising, you can bet I will be in there checking it out. You don't have to be so invasive to change the deer patterns. Chiggers and Ticks are a problem in the summer, but its one of those things you have to live with.
You get out of hunting what you put into it. If you show up in October expecting deer to be at your favorite spot, you could be disappointed. If you depend on bait to bring the deer, in early season, again your gonna be disappointed. KNOWwhere your quarry is, don't assume.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
I just put about 10 trail cameras back out to scout / see what made it by six day . I will put the rest of the units out with in the next two weeks .

I pull all the units about a week before six day . Hate to see any of them walk off .

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
make sure yo post some pics of the lucky ones that made it thru the 6 day

1 - 13 of 13 Posts