New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For you guys with dogs. How many of you scout while hiking with them? I am thinking that since I will be out more next off season hiking with my pup, I might be able to find some good deer spots both on the private property and state land. However, I am concerned that if I hike these areas too much the deer will avoid the area due to the dog scent. Do you guys think it would be a problem?

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
The deer don't care about dogs unless the dogs chase them. I seen countless time deer laying down while my hounds walked within 10 ft of them. Besides this is NJ dogs are everywhere, joggers are on every road. The deer are use to us. It's when we go into their areas at off times that spook them.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
If you walk a dog in the wood watch how he/she moves. WHat I mean is the dog is always smelling, try and get your dog to follow a deer trail. Your dog then can tell you lots of things you wouldn't know. Like: Male dogs will pee on a spot that a buck pee'd on. They will move faster on the trail if a DOE is in heat. I have seen people take their dogs out in the woods and the next day come out with a big buck, just from seeing what their dog does on trails...

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
it is amazing how the deer react to dogs. They evn know how far my friends dog can go on his rope in the backyard. they stay just outside of where the dog can get them and dont pay attention to him at all.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mystic, I never thought of that. I will have to pay attention when I walk her.
Of course she is a bird dog and my luck she will bring me to a turkey roost.
Good advice though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts