New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a free download from Google. Its an 11 mb file. Program will let you fly over areas that you might hunt in an zoom in on the terrain. Helps to have a fast internet connection. Can see hills, buildings, rivers, street names, or whatever level of detail. Really cool. Also sightseeing around the world. Posted an image of the archery range at Zone 9. This area I could have zoomed in on with closer detail. Most wooded areas of NJ can be explored this way. Let me know if anyone uses this already.

http://earth.google.com/

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
its good--to a point...but the details you miss are the same ones you miss on a topo map: the small stuff. that "saddle" may be only 3, 4 ft. lower than the rest of the ridge..no way you'll pick out that without a walk.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I like to do both - scouting the ground with my GPS. I mark waypoints on the GPS (scrapes, rubs, game, borders, stand locations, etc etc) and then bring it home and connect to the computer. GoogleEarth lets you integrate the data so you can bring your tracks, waypoints etc into the satellite image (with roads overlayed). It is very useful and not expensive. GoogleEarth is $20 for the version that lets you do this. My GPS cost around $110 and the cable is $25. For less than $150 I can pretty much capture everything I learned in the woods and print out a map or have it for future years. This way I can capture every relevant detail from the ground up. Since I've always loved maps and I'm a technology geek (somewhat) - this is perfect for me to have fun with.

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
Is that the BlackRiver range?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's the Black River Archery Range. Closes spot for me to practice with my bow. Very impressive what you can input with a GPS. Never heard of that.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
I have been using a GPS reciever and TopoUSA mapping softwate for about 5 years. I think I have several posts from a few months ago about it. I haven't used this earth/google yet because my computer at home is too crappy.
As mentioned previously I can set the particular tree I want to climb as a waypoint. Saturday in the dark & fog I was able to go right to my tree. I also use it to help find hit deer. After a shot I take a magnetic comp [no swearing please] bearing on the last place I could see the deer. With the GPS receiver I can use a back bearing to my tree and go to that exact spot I last saw the deer.
With the TopoUSA I can download waypoints from the receiver to the topo maps with 100% accuracy.

I need to get some of these earth/google photos of the areas I hunt. If I can download waypoints to it that will be even more powerful.

See my previous posts on this subject

1 - 9 of 9 Posts