New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it was a great trip. I scored with a 129lb doe.
I had been in the tree about twenty min. when two hunters about 200 yds away were putting on a drive. They kicked up a doe and took a shot at her.
After about five min. I heard something coming my way. At about 50 yds. I saw her, I was looking behind her for antlers but there was no other movement except her.
When she got 15 yds away I could see she was shot through the loins, not a lethal shot,
Since in Ohio your aloud to shoot three deer,only 1 buck,I decided to put her out of misery and shot her at 10 yds. I'm glad I did I spoke with the other hunters and they thought it was a clean miss and didn't follow her up.
I believe she would be my biggest doe ever in 23yrs of hunting.
I was gonna go back out for a buck but i only had 1 full day left to hunt and I would have had to buy another $24 deer permit, so I just relaxed the remaining time I had there.
I did see A few bucks out there. The one night driving back to the house there was a buck standing by the road I'm sure would have dressed out 175lb and had head gear that probably would have gone 140 -150 inches. He was truly amazing and just outside of town about 1/2 mile.
The brothers that shot at my doe, shot a nice 7 ptr 2 days later from the same area.
The public land out there gets a lil crowded but everyone really does respect each others space. And with sooo much land out there its not a bad thing to have idiots walking all day keeping the deer up and moving. If you find a good thicket with runs around it just sit and be patient they'll be pushed to you!
Even if I don't shoot anything out there its still relaxing to get away...from NJ! People out there are so much more friendly and easy to talk to.When you drive down the back country roads you can GUARANTEE every car you p [no swearing please] will have a friendly wave coming at you. Its just nice to be surrounded by so many friendly people so not like NJ.

Well for now,
MarksWorld

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
great trip,congrats on doe !!!![up]

maybe NJ should take notes from OHIO, 3 deer only 1 maybe a buck

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
[up] Congrats on the Deer!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haven't bought a digi yet I got a 35mm. so the pics will be a week or so. I didnt even get a pic of my doe. I was in such a rush to find a butcher that could get it back to me by Sat night. I was leaving Sun. morning early. But i did get some pics of another deer and some of the landscape.
I'm exausted from hunting! I got home from 9 days in Ohio on Sun. night the 4th. Got up at 5am Mon. for shotgun week here and every day that week hunting am & pm.
To entertain myself on Mon. and Tues evening this week,no deer hunting, I went duck hunting. Which I scored three coot tues night.
Then it was right back to 4:50 this morning to go back out deer hunting. I'm trying Higbee beach down here in Cape May. It didnt open up for hunting until the 12th So the deer have zero hunting pressure.I went past to see and no one was hunting there mon or tues either, this morning was like virgin land. But yr round the bird watchers are there and people in general taking walks. Which I think is good it programs the deer to sit very tight. I'll use that to my advantage in sneaking down the hedgerows.
it's always an adventure in,
Marksworld

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do agree with Ohio's way of rules. Depending on which part of the state you hunt in. It's 3,2,1,deer that you can harvest and 1 buck thats it!
Bow runs from Oct to Late Jan.
shotgun is one week long (7 days, yes SUNDAY HUNTING)
Muzzy is three days long in late Dec.

You can shoot your deer in any season with your weapon of choice. One hunting license with deer permit and you can hunt gun, bow, crossbow, muzzy, no robbing you for money to hunt every season with different permits.
Thats one thing that burns me up about this state. Yrs. ago bow season used to be 8 weeks long, till someone came up with a bright idea. Lets cut the season in half, Then if they want to hunt the rut they can spend $28 to hunt another 4 weeks.
OHIO, get your license in Oct. and hunt any weapon through Jan. resident license is something like $30 and deer permit is $24 not a bad deal.
They know how to grow the big bucks!!!!!
Marksworld

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
When I go to other states I notice the same thing, nice people. I'm almost ashamed to say I live here. There opinion seems to be it's a waste site. TV shows from NY don't help. NJ does have it's beauty though. The ocean, the pines, the skylands and the muddy marsh. (yea it has beauty)

·
3,413 Posts
There opinion seems to be it's a waste site.
I met a guy in Tennessee who couldn't belive that you could hunt in Jersey. He thought that it was concrete from top to bottom.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
geez I went and looked it up. There resident license is only $19 UNBELIEVABLE the comparison between states.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Mark, what county in Ohio were you hunting?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was hunting in Fayette Co,and in Highland Co. I shot my doe in Highland Co on Paintcreek WMA off of the Highway between Greefield and Hillsboro.
Marksworld

1 - 15 of 15 Posts