New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a scope, the magnification is 2.5-7 with an obj. diam of 32, going to put it on a mossburg 500 youth slug gun, its for my kid.
is a 3-9 power a better choice or is it basically the same, we will be hunting the woods no open fields really

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
you will actually be better off with the 2.5x7 given the weapon, your hunting plans and the person who will be shooting it. good luck

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Leupold makes a good shotgun scope in 2x7x32.

I just picked up their 1x4x20 model.Personally I don't care for that much magnification and I've taken deer from 15 to 140 yards with my Bushnell 1.75x4x32(till it broke in a fall)and rarely took it off 1.75 power.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Leupold makes a good shotgun scope in 2x7x32.
I just picked one of those up about a month or so ago, it's a great scope. It also comes in 1-4 magnification. I chose the 2-7 instead of the 1-4 because it gives you that extra magnification for the far shots, yet it's not overkill on the closer shots. I personally think that 3-9 is a bit too much on a shotgun because it may be difficult to acquire your target on the closer shots. That's just my personal preference though, some guys use 3-9 and have no problems whatsoever. It's all whatever you, or your son in this case, feel more comfortable with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.