New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a scope for my slug gun. I have an 870 witha hastings cantilever barrel. I know a bunch of you out there have slug guns (with the exception of jerseyjim;)). Just wondering what you guys reco. What power, brand, etc. I know I posted this before but cant find the post. thanks a bunch

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
I like Simmons for scopes. They are inexpensive and reliable. As for power, I prefer 3 - 9 x 40.

David

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
I'm looking into a red dot scope anyone have any opinons?

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
The cheap ones usually won't hold up.Try Millet or Burris.Also if you can still find a Leupold/Gilmore LG35 try and get that,they got discontinued and were reduced almost half price last I saw a couple years ago...

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
thanks Browning how do you like the dot compared to crosshairs?

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
I had an LG35 on a turkey gun for a couple years and it gives you very precise and quick target acuisition.It held up to the recoil of full power 3 1/2" turkey loads that kick worse than slugs.
Never had one on a slug gun but guys do use them.
Pros are unlimited eye relief,brite,makes aiming easy.Cons are they are battery powered and you could forget to turn it off and kill the battery...

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
what type of battery do they use?

G

·
you gun is as good as the scope. So with that said I would go with the Leupold VX-II in 3-9x40, thats what I got on my Remington 11-87SPS, if money is a facter then I would go with the Bushnell Trophy also in 3-9x40....some guys would say that the 3-9 is a overkill, and maybe so but you have the added bonus to crank it up if you like and you have 40mm to gather some good light

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
Look into a C-More. They'll take all the punishment you can give it.

That or go the extra and get an EOTECH.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
best tip tommy ever gave me besides shoot that deer ;)

was to try the cabela's pine ridge 3x9 50mm diam scope.

Excellent scope for the money, and it's pretty accurate!!!

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
So with that said I would go with the Leupold VX-II in 3-9x40, some guys would say that the 3-9 is a overkill, and maybe so but you have the added bonus to crank it up if you like and you have 40mm to gather some good light
I have a good amount of experience with slug scopes. I originally had a Leupold VX-II 1-4x20 slug on my gun and decided I wanted I more magnification.

I replaced that with the Leupold VX-II 2-7x33 because I wanted more magnification but still wanted the scope mounted low (thus the 33mm objective), and I also thought I needed a "shotgun scope".

Now I am already looking to replace that scope. I don't really like the heavy duplex of the shotgun models when sighting in at the range, and I really don't find any use for it in the woods. I also don't think there is any need for a designated shotgun model vs a standard model. If you buy from a quality manufacturer I don't believe a "shotgun" scope is likely to last any longer than a "rifle" scope.

That being said I would be looking at a rifle scope in either 3-9x or 3.5-10x. Most models available would have objectives between 40-50mm, which is plenty. In fact I would go with the smallest objective available for the power within that range.

As far as brand, I like the Leupold VX-II. However the biggest problem I have with mine is that the adjustment rings never seem to turn as easily as they should. (I have heard this complaint from numerous people,and yes the company can fix that but why should they have to fix a "new" scope). If I am paying that much money for a scope I want things as perfect as possible.

So what do I consider near perfect?

The Zeiss Conquest..3-9x40 which I currently have on my Savage muzzleloader, or a Conquest 3.5-10x44 which I have used on Venisoneatrs Savage Muzzleloader.

That is just my personal opinions. If you decide on the VX-II or the Conquest, or just want more info on them let me know and I will be happy to go into further specifics on each model.

G

·
jcc: I have no problems with what you posted with my 2 VX-II, like I posted I have one in 3-9x40 on my Remington slug gun, and I also have the 3.5-10x50 on my Remington 700 .300 Win Mag

I agree there is no one scope made for shotgun vs rifle. I also have a 3-9x40 Nikon Buckmasters on my Knight Muzzleloader, what a clear crisp scope. I do have one ZEISS in 3-9x40 on my SAKO .30-06, that ZEISS was made in WEST GERMANY got that scope back in 1986, now that scope is super clear/crsip, also mucho $$$$$

1 - 20 of 91 Posts