New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my first shotgun, a remington 870 express super mag 3 1/2" with turkey barrel and full choke, synthetic. I am going to buy the remington fully rifled barrel with cantilever rail for deer season. I want to purchase a scope for it. Any suggestions, I am looking to spend about $300.

Dennis

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
I would recommend a leupold VX-II 1-4x20 or 2-7x33 shotgun model. They can be found for 200-250$. I have owned both. I currently use the 2-7 on my shotgun.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I'm a big fan of Bushnell... they are not the same quality as Leupold but are great for the money and more than adequate. If you're looking to spend $300 on the barrel and scope, you may have to go with a bushnell, but if you're going to spend 300 on the scope alone, go with the best you can afford... like a leupold.

B

·
0 Posts
I have both Bushnells, and Leupolds on my shotguns, and the Leupolds are by far better, I have VX-II in 3-9x40 on my Remington 11-87 SPS

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just my opinion. I shoot a Remington 870 ,12 guage, 3inch mag w/cantilever.The gun is fitted with a Simmons Pro Diamond 1.5 - 5 x 32mm. The scope has a pretty long eye relief and about half the price of some of the higher end scopes. This year I took 5 shots and harvested 5 deer w/shotgun at ranges from 18 yards to 106 yards using 2 3/4 inch Lightfield EXP's.No matter what you choose ,work with your gun and see what ammo shoots best to your own comfort level.
I'd rather save the money on a scope in place for a good set of binoculars so you can actually see what's in the woods.(eg. Nikon LX, Swarovsky, Steiner, Kahles).As I said , just my opinion

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
Go with the simmons pro diamond I have a 4X on my remington 1187 on a cantalever scope mount hastings barrel. Never failed me. Also try shooting lightfield slugs with your 870 they work well in my 1187 not sure how they are for the 870 but worth a try. Good Luck!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Leupold 2-7x33 here too! Just make sure you have the gun firmly against your shoulder.
Is that a shotgun scope? Most manufacturers make scopes with extended eye relief to avoid that problem... I think they are designed to handle the heavy recoil too but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for the info, second question, do I buy the cantilever rifled barrel or the iron rifle sight barrel and have it drilled and tapped to fit a scope rail and scope? Someone mentioned that drilling and tapping is more accurate?

Dennis

·
Registered
612 Posts
Drilling and taping probably won't be more accurate. The barrel and action are two seperate pieces and have pretty sloppy tolerances on a shotgun... so if you take off the barrel for cleaning it may not come back to 100% zero. With the range you'll be shooting at, it shouldn't make much difference, but why chance it? The canteliver barrel is the way to go.

B

·
0 Posts
The advantage with cantliver also is, you can exchange your deer barrel with another for small game/skeet, and that deer barrel will still zeored in. The best way is to drill & tapp the top of the receiver, but also that the barrel is not one you can screw off, its fixed to the receiver. So go with the cantilever, try numerous slugs of the sabot kind, for me LIGHTFIELDS have worked for me and my friends, but that may not be true for you.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Lightfield makes a great slug. I've shot them out of a few guns and done well with them. But I prefer my mossberg 500 smoothbore... I can still group pretty well out to 80 yards with the irons (shooting remington sluggers) and still have the option of using buckshot.

But just a word of warning for you, I'm not sure what the chamber is on your gun, but when I was shooting my Mossberg 835 rifled barrel, I couldn't get any slugs to group accurately out of it. I found out later and after lots of research that the chamber was too big for sabots. The 1/2" of room from the front of a 3" to the end of the chamber was allowing the sabot to separate slightly from the bullet and it wouldn't fly true. So I stopped hunting with the gun... sold it actually. A year later, lightfield came out with their 3.5" mag slug.[mad]

·
Registered
612 Posts
Just read your initial post and saw you have a 3.5" mag. You should try sabots but don't be surprised if you can't group well with them. If you can't, try a regular slug with a plastic backing, you'll get similar results as with a sabot, maybe even better (atleast with my experience).

B

·
0 Posts
I use to use my Mossberg 835 with the rifled/cantilever barrel, and I was using the 2-3/4" Lightfields, and I was grouping great, latter that day I read the info on the box, and found out what you did also. So I went and got 3.5" Lightfields which are loaded to the same specs as there 3" slugs, anyway it took 1 box of 5 slugs, and I was dead on. I don't use that gun anymore for deer to heavy, I use my Remington 11-87 12ga. rifled/cantilever barrel, using the the 2-3/4" Lightfields EXPs, groups are great, took a NJ bear with it back in December of 2003

·
Registered
612 Posts
Lightfields grouped the best out of the 835 but weren't what I was looking for... I still grouped better with my smoothbore than I did the rifled barrel. Go figure.[confused]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts