New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first season using scentblocker.. Bought it mainly for the reason thats its so comfortable quiet and tight to your body. My question is... How do you activate this stuff? After washing it in carbon wash am I supposed to put it in the dryer or let it air dry on a clothes line?[confusedagain]?:p?:p[confused][wallmad]

·
Registered
58 Posts
pop it in the dryer. 20mins on high typically activates the carbon, i believe.

i only wash my scent-lock gear once per season unless really nasty. but i'll throw it in the dryer after every couple of hunts. also try and use a detergent without UV brighteners, as they are alledged to affect deer can view the colors. dunno...

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
How do you activate this stuff?
That's a very good question, and the subject of several lawsuits Nationwide. The odor scrubbing carbon system used by these scent blocking products is heat activated-just like the chemical protective suits used in the military. Hence-according to the instructions that come with the clothes-you should throw it in your hpousehold dryer to "clear out captured odors and activate the carbon to capture more."

The basis of the lawsuits is at what temperature will this actually work? The manufacturer's contend that a regular household dryer will do. However, the substantiually similar military suits require A LOT MORE heat than that put out by a household dryer. Several experts have weighed in and indicated that once the suit is saturated by odor, it is no longer affective, and cannot be "re-activated" by non-commercial means.

This generally means that you cannot "re-activate" the scent blocking suits in your dryer.

Is this all true? who knows. Eventually one of these lawsuits will come to conclusion, and if you suddenly see the label "scent resistant" as opposed to "scent locking" you will know who won, and whether you can actually "re-activate" the clothing's scent locking effect

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
FD,

Forget about the supposed "carbon-scent control" properties of the clothing and follow a logical scent reduction routine in the first place.

Specifically, that means that you wash the clothes regularly, (ideally after every single time you hunt). The clothes should be wached in scent free-uv free soap, (their are plenty of products that are sold just for this purpose). After you dry the clothes as you pull them out of the dryer they should go straight into a sealed plastic container, (there are plenty of air tight rollable bags made specifically for this purpose the best having an air vent that allows them to be compressed and sealed.) All of the garments that you are going to hunt in should be treated this way.

Once you reach your hunting site, pull the clothes out of the bags and get dressed....then spreay your shoes, equipment, and clothes etc with a scent redcution spray...

That is the gyst of it...

JC

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
JC....

I'd add that regardless of your routine....and your 'scent control' clothing...and your 'odor-eliminating' spray.....

hunt the wind.....

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JC and Briar thanks that was well put!!! thanks for your advice! I am a littel skeptical about the whole carbon scent control thing. I really bought the scentlbocker because its just great fitting and so quiet! Cant go wrong with AP Camo either. my favorite. How about you guys?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts