New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years back I purchased a Scent Loc suit. It worked fine. I had Deer downwind of me, and it appeared that they did not detect me. I, of course, was in a tree stand. Hunting this year has been limited for me(work)plus, I'm hunting a new area and wasn't able to scout it as much as I would have liked. As a result, I haven't hung a stand, and decided to hunt/scout at the same time. On two occasions, Deer were around me (w/in 30yds)and once they walked downwind of me, they definitely knew I was there. A buck took off immediately, and a doe walked off nervously. I have read recently that you reach a point of diminishing returns with the suits, that is, they only can absorb so much scent, then they reach a saturation point, and no longer work. Have you found this to be true? Also, for those of you who have the suits, besides putting them in the laundry/dryer can you restore their original condition?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Conan, there was a post on here a few months back about the Scent Lok suits, and basically what your saying is true. In order to reactivate these suits, you need to expose them to very high temperatures, I don't remeber what those temps are, but you can not acheive them with your common household dryer. As a result, these suits become for the most part, an ordinary piece of camo clothing, because you can't reactivate the carbon in them.
If you do a search you should be able to find the thread, it was very informative. Hope this helps.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
depends, what is in your area?
FOX
Skunk
Raccoon
Pine
Cedar
DOE Pee ( I know it's not a cover scent, but it can be used as one )
Earth

For me it's DOE,fox & racoon

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I have used scent blocker for years now. I know there is some articles out that say it doesnt work, but I have definately noticed a difference when using it. I dont think it is a cure all for scent, but it does help. I do think it loses its effectivness after a while, so I bought a new one last year. I believe the quality of the fabric and extra tight stitching help to keep scent enclosed. I only wash the suit once or twice a year on delicate cycle to lengthen the life...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts