New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Agree with bloodtrails. Too many of these products use the word 'eliminate'. Apply the product as per the directions. Make certain you've taken all the other precautions.....then hunt the wind....

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
you should come to the Scent seminar at Calloways on RTe 9 in West Creek on Saturday at 12pm.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Great post. In my opinion you have purchased on of the best scent reduction products on the market. Not to mention it was developed at Rutgers University. Scent Killer is highly effective at reducing human scent on you clothing and boots. The thing is with these products most people don't really understand how they work I often see people spraying down before they walk to their stand. In order for scent killer to work best your should was them in hunting detergent spray them down day before your gonna hunt and hang them outside to dry. Then put them in scent free bags or a tupperware till your ready to hunt. Scent Killer and many of the other scent reducing products only work once they are dry and scent killer destoys human odor at the molecular level and continues to do so for days. It's a good product if you use it right. Not magic though.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
the sprays do work, but they can't solve all your problems with just a few mists.
it is just a piece of the whole puzzle. you need scent free cloths to start, then a scent free body soap. put that together, then spray yourself before you leave the truck.
together they work very good. that said, you should still play the wind. sure i have had deer come in directly down wind, and i have killed them. but it's not going to happen 100% of the time.
i use a ton of the spray, it got costly. i learned to make it myself. now 5 years later, i sell it.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Wiskers this should be a good 2 hours [rofl]

In a nut shell human odor can not be taken away. I agree with the statement it should be called reducer to be PC, but common terms it is called eliminator.

Human odor can be combined or reduced to cause a positive instead of a neg depending on the deer or critters mind set. example a calm deer can be fooled easier than a worked up or suspicious deer or critter.

a coyote walking down a trail with no worries comes across faint human odor it will act a certain way and except the odor, human odor can stay present for as long as 2 days in some cases. Blood hounds can trail humans well in the 12 to 24 or longer time frame so I am told. put a critter dying sound into the picture, the yote is on full alert every sense is working! it will not tolerate to much human smell. human odor can be tolerated at certain densities on a calm critter mind set. a keyed up critter nothing will be tolerated.

I just got a call about a hour ago from a MD. boy that just took a deer at 12 yards direct down wind from him that never knew he was there. he is using a new reducer/ cover spray. these types of products do work if you are somewhat clean. if you stink they don't work but may buy you a second or two because of confusion. then again may not at all [hihi]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.