New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm walking through the edge of a field to get to one of my spots when I hear something around the bend in front of me.. I come to a complete stop and before I could bring my bow up a young doe comes walking around the bend. Over the next 3 minutes or so (felt like 20) we have a staring contest as she stomps her foot and moves closer and closer to me. She is about 6-7 yards tops from me as I stand there mid step.. Then another doe comes out from behind her and spooks her. They both took off about 30 yards and went back to whatever they were doing.. I was quite happy with that

Reactions: JohnnyBGoode

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Maybe she was a transplant from Princeton and was hoping you would hand feed her. Unless she was upwind of course.

·
Registered
64 Posts
That's pretty cool. A long time ago I was fishing the Zaraphath Lock on the D&R Canal and had a deer walk right up to me. Even let me pet her. She very well may have been from Princeton!

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
That is pretty cool. I had a similar incident two years ago. Had a doe right past me no further then 5 yds. No idea I was there, and never made it to a staring contest, she ended up just meadering off without every noticing me. Wind was in my face but once I got on stand to thinking about it, at that distance your scent will disperse, so even with a good wind, you still know that you were doing pretty well with your scent control. Not that we will ever be able to get it completely free.

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
Many years ago, when Bear swamp was still part of zone 5, I was hunting opening day of early bow, I was not very familiar with the WMA a and could not find my stand in the dark so I just stood next to a tree to wait for light, as it got light I saw 3 bucks 2 where real nice the third was a fork, he came in on a the trail I walked in on and ended only inches from my boot, all the bucks left and about an hour later the fork came back, I had to move my bow to the side or he would've impaled himself on it! Both times he had no idea I was there, I love those encounters.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts