New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were having a discussion on another board concerning the proper pronunciation of the word Sabot.
The question is....some pronounce it with a hard T...(Sa-Bot), others, myself included, pronounce it without the t...(Say-Bow).

Which is right, and what are the facts....

Here is the answer acording to Websters dictionary, and confirmed by multiple other online sources.

I always thought either version was fine. I was under the belief that there was no such thing as a sa-BoT, (pronounced with the hard T), therefore it was not wrong to use that version based on definition, only on phonetics.

However after doing a little research, the version with a hard T pronunciation is actually wrong by definition as well.

When pronounced with the standard method..( sa-'bO,)here is the two defintions....

1 : a wooden shoe worn in various European countries,a shoe having a sabot strap
2 : a thrust-transmitting carrier that positions a missile in a gun barrel or launching tube and that prevents the escape of gas ahead of the missile.(*Obviously, the definition we usually are refering to.)

However when pronounced with the hard T,('sa-boT)one is actually refering to the leather strap that goes on to a wooden shoe as defined above.(and incidently has absolutly nothing to do with guns)

b (1) : a strap across the instep in a shoe especially of the sandal type

So the moral of the story here is that not only is pronouncing the T incorrect by definition and phonetics....but the version (Sa-BOT) is every bit as French as is the proper verion (Say-Bo)...

I still don't really care how people say it...but at least you all know the facts now..

Webster dictionary...
http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/sabot

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Lots of things are accepted in this society....
I hear you, including many that shouldn't be[smirk]

I have been "corrected" a few times in the past in different parts of the country for saying it one way or another, by people that had no clue where the name came from or what it means, now it is pretty much accepted either way.

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The thread on the other board was started by an Ex-Marine that wanted to know why all the people at Gander Mountain, Cabellas, etc, were all mispronouncing it Say-Bow. His drill instructor taught him the proper way...Sa-boT....(lol);)

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
The thread on the other board was started by an Ex-Marine that wanted to know why all the people at Gander Mountain, Cabellas, etc, were all mispronouncing it Say-Bow. His drill instructor taught him the proper way...Sa-boT....(lol)
funny, I taught guys it was saybow.

and son there is NO SUCH THING AS AN EX MARINE...[mad]

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
I've always called it Sa-Bot (hard T). Why? Say-bow just doesn't sound right to me. [confused]

Ah whatever. Call it whatever you want to. Just don't call it a rifled slug.

David

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
The thread on the other board was started by an Ex-Marine that wanted to know why all the people at Gander Mountain, Cabellas, etc, were all mispronouncing it Say-Bow. His drill instructor taught him the proper way...Sa-boT....(lol)

Yeah..and I had a dept. head in the Navy who used to try to lecture all us junior officers on "military et-a-quit" This guy was from some small hick town in Kentucky where they think "et a quit" is not staring at the donkey when it gets happy, or waiting til your cousin is 14.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.