New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There having a special on sharks, And they were talking about some species almost extinct because of finning. That was the sick thing,Finning is when they catch a shark cut off his fins and dump him back in the water alive. They just sink to the bottom. That's something the antis should be trying to put a stop to.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
the problems with that fishery is that they aren't really regulated and they waste most of the fish. It has really put a hurting on a lot of the shark populations where it is practiced.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
luknikk,

The antis will never go after these people for one reason and one reason only. Most people feel that sharks are mean looking, unlike deer or bears, and don't deserve the same treatment. Of course, I think that's a load of BS.

David

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Plus the fact that it happens in International waters. Just sad though,amagine getting your arms and legs cut off and then get thrown back in the water. They should atleast keep the whole damn thing and sell it.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
LOL Bob?

But I agree about the finning. Shame to waste such a magnificent fish. Process the whole thing and feed the hungry. Problem is expense. They get top dollar for the fins. Rest of the fish does not make the profit.

-dan

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
The issue is simple but media tends to complicate things.

like the ban on whaling - shark finning should be regarded the same.

Unfortunately - the decline of shark populations doesn't point the finger at the true source, rather, self righteous media and sanctimonious sport fishing commentators often send the recreational anglers the 'beating'.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Shark fin soup is about as appetizing as boiled dish-rag.[down]

·
Registered
507 Posts
When Disney was building their new park in Hong Kong, they rent out areas of the park to provide wedding services (just as they do here). Well, when they were coming up with ideas for the menu, shark fin soup was one of the courses, because it is a strong part of the culture there especially during wedding times. Luckily someone caught it in time... before the park opened. Some anti's got ahold of the info and made shirts and banners and stuff that showed Mickey Mouse and Donald RIPPING apart bloody sharks. It's kinda funny, but reallllly bad for Disney at the same time. Anyway, thought you would find it interesting.

Article about Disney/Shark fin soup

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
But I agree about the finning. Shame to waste such a magnificent fish. Process the whole thing and feed the hungry. Problem is expense. They get top dollar for the fins. Rest of the fish does not make the profit.
While the rest of the fish may not sell for as much of a profit as the fins, the fish has already been caught, and anything extra to be sold is incremental profit. I personally don't feel that any animal's life should be taken unless it is going to be completely harvested.

David

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Yoda,

Actually, most of the Cost involved in fishing is not in the catching. It is in the transport, processing etc.

You have to realize that they are getting paid $100s per pound for fins, vs maybe $1-2 for the rest of the fish. It is a business pure and simple. However, I think it should be regulated. How about requiring them to process the whole fish, then I bet you see a reduction in fin fishing, which would cause the price of fins to skyrocket, causing more poaching, which in turn puts everything right back where it is today....

ok rant off

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.