New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
11,226 Posts
Response from PLA930 moved from the other thread...
Currently Online Posts: 753
Quote:
is a savage model 24 (.222)over(20ga)legal to use for hunting in N.J.?????

Welcome to the board.

I think it would be illegal to use in the field unless you were a liscenced trapper.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Licensed trappers at least 18 years of age and in possession of a valid rifle permit may carry a .22 caliber rifle, and use only .22 caliber short rimfire cartridges to kill legally trapped animals

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
ithaca37 - time to ask Santa for some new guns!

Lots of bargains out there.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
That type weapon is called a "drilling". I don't believe it is legal in NJ. You can use the .222 for woodchucks on private land and you can use the 20 ga anywhere. I guess if you have no .222 rounds in your possesion it's ok.

To my way of thinking a .22lr/.410 ga drilling is ideal for tree rats. .22 on the ground .410 in tree.

·
Registered
346 Posts
"Careful. It's the rifle that is not allowed on public WMA land, not the ammo."

I totally believe that, where else can you go to a sporting goods store and buy hollow point bullets and then get pulled over for a traffic violation on the way home and be charged for each of those bullets in your posession.

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
I totally believe that, where else can you go to a sporting goods store and buy hollow point bullets and then get pulled over for a traffic violation on the way home and be charged for each of those bullets in your posession.
LEO's in NJ are notorious for falsely charging NJ gun owners with firearms or ammo violations because even they can't understand the laws.

BTW, it is perfectly legal to drive your hollow points home from place of purchase.

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
22 shorts only in the state of new jersey
That's for trapping. Rifles are perfectly legal when hunting groundhogd on private land. .25 cal or under or any caliber as long as you use bullets less than 100 grains.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I recently moved to NJ and I had NO IDEA how ridiculous the gun laws were. .22 shorts? aka bb gun? Is there really much patrolling on private land?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.