New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a savage mk II BGV-XP yesterday from Cabelas. I was told by the staff there that it will take '22 Long Rifle' or '22 LR' (for short) ammo. I thus bought some Remington subsonic 38gr HP ammo and some Remington 40gr FMJ ammo. Upon reading the manual at home I saw that the manufacturer recommends 40gr 22 LR ammo.

My question: is it safe to use ammo that is 5% lighter, i.e. the 38gr subsonic HP ammo? I am concerned that maybe the lighter load may distort in the barrel or something and cause a dangerous blockage. Am I being paranoid?

I need this rifle to give my resident groundhog population the chance to 'be reborn in a higher plane of existence' as a Buddhist might put it.

Accordingly, the subsonice HP ammo has a lot of appeal - but there again so does keeping both eyes and hands (along with fingers and thumbs) fully functional.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, I realised that I was being stupid a second after I posted because obviously the charge will be proportionate to the load (duh!) on a manufactured load at least.

Thanks for responding [up]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.