New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent the day at the range yesterday shooting my Savage muzzleloader. I also had my Savage 210 12ga shotgun along.

Due to the amount of recoil the shotgun produces I usually don't shoot that gun until I am done with everything else at the range. This usually means I am tired and my shooting is already suffering. Add to that the fact that I am usually pressed for time and that means I don't leave enough time for the barrel to properly cool. (This gun strings quickly when it heats up).

However I usually try to shoot at least one group with the 12ga when I can.

Under the above circumstances I was pretty happy with the group below after I shot it. This will be my "Other Savage" for deer season....

100 yds Rem Core Lokt 385gr

BTW....shot #1... from a cold barrel, is the one low and dead center.... shot #2... was fired before I thought about the barrel being hot, and is the one top left..... shot #3 I remembered to let the barrel the cool, it was just a bit warmer than the barrel was for the first shot. Of course that one landed in the middle. One of these days I'll take the time to get a real "cold barrel" group.

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jim,

For a shotgun, I'll certainly take it...

BTW, a gentleman I correspond with from another board shot the most amazing group I have ever seen yesterday.

Let me first say he is an extremely good shooter and hits the range multiple times a week. The thing that amazed me was that he shot the group with a muzzleloader!

He shot a 3 shot group at 100yds that measured .18" in. Yes, less than two tenths of an inch with his muzzleloader!

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
10 ga,

Thanks for asking. I haven't scoped it yet. I don't think I could shoot up to its abilities without one.

I already have my hands full getting the my savage muzzleloader up to speed. The Browning will be with me for a long time, it can wait.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts