New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my buddy Max went out saturday morning... and like most other guys in the woods, get soaking wet. We "walked and talked" most of the day so we covered a lot of ground.... but we didn't even hear a gobble or see a turkey until we were on our way home and the rain had all but stopped. But it was still a pretty good day. Early in the morning, just after leaving the truck, we spotted a brown raccoon looking thing up a tree... turns out it was a porqupine (sp). I didn't even know they lived in jersey. We saw quite a few deer early on too... mostly does and yearlings. About 9:30, Max found a real nice 4 point shed... and then I think I may have seen the deer that left it... a really big bodied buck with about 6 inches of velvet already coming off his head. Shortly after that, I found coyote scat that was almost all hair... then I saw the coyote that probably left it... a really big one (probably 40 or 50 lbs and almost all blond... it almost looked like a white shepard). He was coming up a ridge as I was looking off it into the valley below. I stayed dead still until he was about 10 yards away then I yelled "BOO!!" It looked at me, turned, and ran at about mock 5 back down the hill. I'm surprised the thing made it through the winter... he had a really bad case of mange... his coat was patchy and matted and the last 3/4 of his tail was completely hairless. I think the scat was his... he was probably licking his coat and ingesting the hair. I also found a possum skeleton but didn't want to take the skull... rabies are way to rampant in Jersey for me to chance it. So we finished out the day with no birds but still had some fun.[up]

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

Well another day, another missed oportunity. I made it out early and was in the area I wanted to hunt at 5:30. I started moving along the ridge around 6:30 and heard a gobble around 7:30, I got him to gobble back once but he moved off the join some hens I heard in the distance. [mad]I waited about a half hour and went after them. I caught up to them around 9. I was on top of the ridge looking down into a valley when I heard him gobble from somewhere up the other side. I set up my decoy and called again to locate him. He was in the bottom of the valley already coming to me so I couldn't move down closer. I heard some hen yelps so I started calling to them. Every time they cut or yelped, I called, and he cut me off with a gobble... and everytime he was closer but I still couldn't see him. It got to the point that he sounded like he was right in front of me and I STILL COULDN'T SEE HIM. [mad]

Then it started to rain.[mad] We both shutup. After a 15 minute shower, and a 5 minute wait for good measure, I called again... nothing. So I called again... nothing. I figured he had moved off so I waited another 5 minutes in silence and decided to set up on him again down in the valley. I left the decoy where it was and started heading down the hill slowly. Much to my surprise, there was on old logging road cutting through the hillside 30 yards in front of me. I couldn't see it at all becuase it was so recessed into the hill... I also couldn't see the two hens and tom AT FULL STRUT for the same reason. I saw them as they saw me and just as I put the bead of my gun on the (now flying) toms head, a hen cut in front of him. SON-OF-A...[mad]

So I called it quits and went trout fishing.

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
Not many trucks parked.. I figured the rain would shut them down. I seen 3 birds in the roads up there...All hens.

ended up with 15 bows....

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Long story, short: either the gobbler was laying down behind me (40
yrds) when I set up at 10 AM... then he stood up after the rain at
11:30 AM .... Or he snuck up behind me and busted me.... either way he
started sounding the alarm (weird cluck/pop noises) and walked away.

He was huge... had a huge dark thick red head.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I had a jake come in silent from behind me on Saturday morning. When I finally heard him and turned around he was 20 ft away. I tried to get the shot off, but he was to fast.:[mad]

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
During the week it's nice and on Saturday it rains. I'm starting to see a pattern here
In all the time I've spent outdoors, I have found one undeniable truth... Nature is a Mother!!

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
i havent heard not one gobble yet seen a few hens and 4 gobblers (all over 100 yards away) im trying to get one with the recurve bow but it seems like it isnt gonna happen. im taking the compound out this weekend, ive shot a few with the gun previous years and i want a new challenge. and since i havent seen any gobblers close up the gun wont do me any good....at least with the bow i can reach out and touch em ;) been practicing my long range...(ask outlawJT) all i need is a turkey to step within 110yards and hes donefor.....been accurately shooting 1 galon milk jugs at that range.....im good as long as the turkey dont hear the arrow comming.

wish me luck[smirk]

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is a hell of a shot. I know a turkey is a small, thin skinned animal, but will you still be able to kill at that range?

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
im gonna wait for a walking away shot..un-fanned. this way im almost guarenteed a spine shot or at least vital hit. i dont want to wound one of the few turkeys out there. lol ill be up and running after the turkey before the arrow even reaches it:D thats the thing with the bow..you cant lose sight of the turkey becasue the blood trail is minimal (its waht i hear anyway..ive never done it)

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SON-OF-A...

I just saw the weather forecast for this weekend... there is a nor'easter forming that may hit this saturday and sunday!![mad][mad][mad]

We saturday hunters can't get a break!![mad][mad][mad]

1 - 20 of 28 Posts