New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading up to Saskatchewan tomorrow! I can't eat, sleep or concentrate on anything. This is my first hunt where the big boys live. Has anyone on this site gone up north? Hopefully I'll have a pic to share when I get back next Saturday (if I don't freeze to death)[up]

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Buckman, best of luck bud!!![up] Have a safe and fun trip.[up][up]

Bring back a northern brute for us to drool over, eh.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
My Dad's cousin came back from there a couple weeks ago. Apparently he got a nice one that measured in the 150's.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have never seen anything bigger then a nice NJ 8 in the woods (18+" spread, 100lbs dressed- from the pines)...I cant even imagine what a 130 to150 cl [no swearing please] buck that weighs 250+ lbs will do to my nerves..hopefuly I'll find out! I'll do my best to write about the trip so everyone can go hunting with me[up]

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Have you practiced shooting while shaking uncontrolably?

I would practice today. Take a shower with your clothes on. Go to the range and shoot. Eventually you will get so cold you'll start to shiver. Very similiar.

Good luck.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Mike, I really hope you are joking.

If you ever catch me taking a shower with my clothes on, shoot me. If you catch me taking a shower and then going to the range on a cold day to practice "shiver shooting", shoot me twice.

On a side note; If you catch me taking a normal shower (naked) I will have to shoot YOU....to put you out of your misery of course. I wouldnt want you to suffer.:D:D:D

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Mike, I really hope you are joking.
It is a great practice. It also gets you used to the cold and you learn how to mentally overcome hypothermia.

I'm an EMT trust me.:D

G

·
Since I booked my trip to IOWA for next year, I've been trying to judge deer better, pictures are one thing the real deal is another. The best place loacally for me to do that is Garret Mtn/Rifle Camp park

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As far as judging the deer, all I have is pictures for now. A guide is going to sit with me for atleast the first day. I got a call the other night from camp and they are seeing lots of bucks with 3 monsters that have been sighted in the area I am supposed to hunt that are 140 to 150+ cl [no swearing please] deer. Supposedly this coming week is the peak of their rut. Just gotta pray the weather cooperates!

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Heading up to Saskatchewan tomorrow! I can't eat, sleep or concentrate on anything. This is my first hunt where the big boys live. Has anyone on this site gone up north?
I have,twice.. Don't shoot the first big buck you see unless its a no brainer!!!!!!!
seriously hope you did your homework, judging buck racks, it's easy to shoot a 140 cl [no swearing please] deer the first time u see one, when bigger are available...
Best of Luck & Stay Warm:p.

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
Good luck,don't worry about shooting a buck that exceeds a certain "score".Shoot a mature buck with a good rack that makes you happy.You have to get used to the big bodies,often a nice rack only appears average or decent.I've hunted Canada 5 times so far and I've found that deer tend to move all day,not just dawn and dusk.
Keely Lake Lodge is a fine place I've heard,I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself! [up]

1 - 20 of 29 Posts