New Jersey Hunters banner

Safety Harness...

1K views 25 replies 19 participants last post by  HuntersDad 
#1 ·
i watched a show this afternoon about a guy who fell(no harness) now he's parralized from the waist/knees down. need we say anymore! i only take one misjudgement .dont[drinking],[sleep], in the tree.

#5 ·
briarpatch I have one i bought from cabelas and have this one laying around. I never go in a tree in any stand without one on, I like making money at work and me getting hurt doesn't sound like fun. I figured since I have one laying around I would help someone out that might not have one.

#7 ·
*********IMPORTANT***********

everyone take notice on your teather of the safety belt, there is a lable sewed on.

IT SHOULD have an expiration date.

I know i have a hunter safety systems belt, and it says its only good for 5 years, then they wont be liable there on after.. so replace it when required to be safe.

i'm one to leave the strap in my tree all season, and just clip onto it when i come and go... so i would probably change mine every 2-3 years b/c its weathered much more...

also, makes you wonder about treestand straps... should they be changed every so often? i dont change them unless something chews the strap.. but im sure weather damage is just as bad...

hunt safe!

#8 ·
Yea be safe
Last year I fell getting down off ladder stand.it was 430 am helping brother in his stand
Thought I was in last step and stepd off. I was on thirs step and fell on back lucky no stups or stick went thru me
Makes u think accedents do happed. Iam more cautious

[wallmad][wallmad]

#9 ·
I had the cable come apart from the bottom section of my climber. It came apart when climbing down but I was still about 7 ft high. I had my harness on but just hung on to the top section until my friend came by who I was hunting with to help me out.

I Never hunt without my harness on.

#10 ·
Last year my dad was hunting in his climber and was climbing up when he lost the bottom part of his climber.Then he was hanging on the top piece because he didnt have a harness.He ended up shimying down the tree with the top piece and breaking his ankle.Needless to say he will never hunt without a harness again.

#16 ·
I wear mine at all times. You just never know.
One more thing I like to have is a small folding knife in my pocket. I usually keep my bigger gutting knife in my pack. if I fell I may not be able to reach it and if I was hanging I am not sure I could climb back up to unhook. So I would just hang on and cut the strap and shimmy down.

#17 ·
I fell I may not be able to reach it and if I was hanging I am not sure I could climb back up to unhook.  So I would just hang on and cut the strap and shimmy down.
When your in your stand you should turn around and put your strap on at eye level. When you sit you should be able to feel the strap taunt slightly, this way if you fall..
A. you won't fall to far from your platform
B. you won't "shock load" your strap or your body.

Also remember that if your suspended for more than 10min. It can cause problems with blood flow and create problems with Nitrogen in blood (the benz, same problems divers get from coming up too fast) Always have a phone nearby and if you are hanging move your legs by bringing your knees to your chest occassionally. AND ALWAYS LET SOMEONE KNOW WHERE YOU ARE

#21 ·
I have always used the straps that came along with the stand...this year I bought a vest from Hunter Safety Systems...it's a really cheap insurance policy.
Also remember that if your suspended for more than 10min. It can cause problems with blood flow and create problems with Nitrogen in blood
The HSS vest comes with a "relief strap" that you use to lift yourself up to relieve the pressure from hanging until help arrives

#23 ·
one thing that i think most of us are missing is that even though a harness is great it will only help you if you are in your stand. actually the most dangerous part of stand hunting is the acent and decent.. i personally am going to purchase an hss life line for a few of my hang on sets, and when i use my climber i am always attached to the tree from ground level up and back down again.. i have to much to live for to be stubborn when it comes to treestand safety. in the past ive gone without but now i feel naked without my safety harness on.

this can't be emphisized enough guys and gals.. stay safe...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.