New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 9 pointer I spent all summer scouting and patterning is no more... within a week of the season he shed his velvet and knocked off the kicker point. It's funny how a 2 inch point can make a deer look a lot smaller. I'm on the fence about shooting it now, any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Take it... Unless you know there are bigger ones in your area..... I would take it.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
I'm on the fence about shooting it now, any thoughts?
I think only you will be able to make that decision when he is standing in front of you. If you get excited when you see him from the stand and you think he will make you happy when you harvest him then by all means take him. if you are still qeustioning it when he steps out I would suggest letting him go.

With that said, the deer doesn't look mature and he still has plenty of growing to do;)

But in the end it is what makes you the hunter happy.

·
Registered
21,477 Posts
I wouldn't get to up set ;) I personally wound have gave him another year at least if he is on a fairly secure piece of private land, he will be a real good deer in another year two. [up]

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
He'd be meat in my freezer! And just another hat rack
Yep...I stopped looking at racks as trophies years ago. I use the antlers to make accoutraments for muzzleloading such as powder measures and priming horns, knife handles, arrow heads, game carriers, horn stoppers and whatever else I think of.

I'm sure he'll look like a shooter if he comes in range.;)

·
Registered
383 Posts
I think it's still there! Look closely and you can see a little white point up the main beam. I think it's just much smaller out of velvet and is hiding against the main beam in that angle! Look again and see what you think.

·
Banned
1,236 Posts
His spread is barely outside of his ears...could be a beauty in another year...but nothing wrong with shooting him this year if you get the urge [up]

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
I think it's still there! Look closely and you can see a little white point up the main beam. I think it's just much smaller out of velvet and is hiding against the main beam in that angle! Look again and see what you think.
Agreed, that point is still there and is not broken off. The second picture shows it best.

Giving that deer one more year in NJ is a very risky proposition because we seldom have the lands to practice QDM and someone else is going to shoot him this year, but if you think you have a good spot, another year will really allow him to become a bruiser.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.