New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone notice a differance in taste of the meat of a rutting buck? I never have but a couple of guys I know swear it has a real bad taste. Do you?

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Make the mistake of grabbing a dead buck by the tarsal glands on the back legs and your hands will smell so bad that you will think you are tasting it :p

Been there , done that !!

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Make the mistake of grabbing a dead buck by the tarsal glands on the back legs and your hands will smell so bad that you will think you are tasting it

Been there , done that !!
Same here NS911...it seems to never come off!!

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
taste the same to me. Only thing I know is that when you get them butchered certain glands in the shoulder need to be removed or you get a gammie taste.

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bump

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Yea, a few weeks back Mrs. Nightstalker helped me load a buck into my truck to take to the butcher. It was during her mid day break driving the school bus. Even though she washed her hands twice, the kids on the bus still complained about the smell :p:p:p

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea, a few weeks back Mrs. Nightstalker helped me load a buck into my truck to take to the butcher. It was during her mid day break driving the school bus. Even though she washed her hands twice, the kids on the bus still complained about the smell
Uh-oh....I bet the kids have a nick name for her now. ....poor Mrs Nightstalker....lol

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
My in-laws claim if the deer runs after it is shot the adrenaline causes a gamey taste. I have not found that to be true. I believe it is based on what they eat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts