New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not much action the past few days. What's the next strategy? Catch them between their bedding and feeding areas? Are scents and lures still effective?

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Mature bucks will rut well into Jan- Some even Feb,Although it is far less aggressive then now. At this point no action means the bucks are locked up with the doe's, When doe's move buck's move. WHen they bed so does the buck's. Key is to find the doe's where there moving to and from, Scents will still work like I said before bucks will mate all winter. By Dec end focus more on food area's bucks will be thinner and tired from the peak and will need to gain body m [no swearing please] and replenish energy for the next few hard months. And if you ever heard the term second rut that's true to a point. All it is is some yearling doe's comming into a early cycle,And they do get bred, So use a scent wel into the winter and look at food area's

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
Agreed

G

·
well I hope not, I hope it last at least till this Monday/Tuesday. You got to love the sound of deer running, as the buck is chasing the doe. The woods are quiet, and still and your not seeing anyhting, as your head is dropping down cause your falling asleep, you hear them running, you pop your head up grab your bow or gun, the sound is getting louder and closer, and then you see them coming a doe at 1st, she stops about 20 yds. from you, and she looks over to where she came from, you hear the walking of a deer, he coming over the small incline at 1st you see antlers, then you see him, she walks past you at 10yds., and he does the same. Thats what I love to see & hear[up]

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
Back in 97 I was out for my first time with the Muzzleloader.
I saw a doe coming my way and realized a buck was right on her tail. Still Rutting(that was 11/28/97).
She stopped at 30 yards and he walked up to her and was sniffing her. I fired and she ran left and he ran right .
I just graized his schoulder.
I relaoded and and started heading towards the doe again. He walked by me at 20 yards and I did not miss the 2nd shot.
If it wasn't for the rut still going on in late Nov I never would have had a chance at a second shot.
He was a 110 inch 8 point.
I hope Monday works out the same as 97 did.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
in 2003, our club whacked 4 bucks out of 4 guys on the ML opener. All bucks were chasing does and my 7pt actually came into a scent set up. You never know....Good luck.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
I shot a Buck on Thursday of Slobgun season that was chasing a doe along with FIVE other bucks! THAT IS THURSDAY OF SLOBGUN SEASON! As I have said before, as long as there are does to breed the bucks will be looking for them. The next season in the same stand also on a thursday, I had 2 large bucks get in a fight over a doe and making a giant racket. They were to far away to shoot. BUT the buck that came to check out the fight got a dose of a Winchester 2 3/4 1oz slug.

G

·
2002 on opening day of muzzleloader brownstones missed twice on a big 8 pointer, a week later opening day of shotgun it was 7 degrees, at 10am brownstones radios me and sayys he sees deer a few not sure of the sex heading somewhat towards me, I see them but they will be 200 yds. below me heading towards buckfever, there I see that big 8 pointer with another buck a nice 6 pointer , and a forkhorn, they stop, the 8 pointer mounts the doe a few times, no shots. so I agree if she is in heat the bucks will come LOL in one way or another

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Its called post rut action. The peak is past and now the bucks are cruising for the does coming into estros late. Some fawns will come in at this time also. Calls, scents and rattling will also work fairly well at this time.

·
Registered
9,577 Posts
I'd say the does have peaked all ready....I'd venture most guys cant truly even define what the peak of the rut is. They think it's bucks running all over the woods chasing does. When in fact it's the exact opposite. It's so many does in heat the bucks don't have to look very far.

I think the action should be picking up again pretty soon, when theres less available does and unbred does from from Nov coming back into heat. Over the next 6 weeks to 8 weeks you can catch a rutting flurry as good as any day in Nov if your in the right place.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
I think it's winding down. I had two 8 pointers walk out to the bait at last light today, and totally ignored each other. They stood on opposite sides of the bait, but never acted aggressively towards each other. They were there for about 10 minutes, until I put an arrow through one chest. ( see my other post )
:D:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts