New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw about a dozen in a small patch of woods along the highway on Saturday.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
A lot of deer in some wacky areas.

I see them up on the high ridge sides on Rt. 80 all the time. Cant be more than 30 feet of woods between the Sound barriers and the highway, but they bed and feed in there anyway.

Just goes to show you, that there are still too many deer and not enough woods and food for them. Poor deer have to search for food anywhere they can. These cold, snowy winters dont help either, but hey, thats mother nature.

Im also glad to see Im not the only maniac that drives around and looks for deer. I spot them EVERYWHERE!

Do you guys yell out "DEER!" when you see them too? Or is that just me?:D

People get kinda sick of driving with me, you know cause I'll point and yell "deer" about 500 times in a half hour trip.:D

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you guys yell out "DEER!" when you see them too? Or is that just me?
Absolutey.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
LOL:D

We are nuts you realize that right?

I remember two years ago driving by "Hercules" right near Ramseys in Ledgewood with all my brothers. Well my youngest brother yells out "BIG BUCK". Of course this almost causes me to lose control of my truck.

My other brothers quickly looked and didnt see anything so we tell him, if we turn around and dont see any big bucks we're gonna beat your a--. (Yeah you can tell we're brothers):D

Well we turn around and park across the street. We are all staring into the woods saying I told you there was nothing you idiot...(once again, you can tell, were brothers):D

We were just about to beat his a--...(not really, but threaten to at least) when all of a sudden I see a doe running down the hill. I say hold on. maybe theres more.

Sure enough I spot what looks like a tree branch moving. It was a huge 10 pointer, probably would go about 150 class. He had been standing stock still for at least a few minutes. When he moved I yelled out...OH MY GOD THERE HE IS....

We took turns looking at him through the binoculars until it got too dark to see, we watched him chase does for about a half hour. (It was late November)
Needless to say, we didnt beat our lil brother, and we all apologized for not believing him. We now call him eagle-eye and turn around when he says turn around.;)

Tell you the truth, I dont even remember where we were going that day.

May not be the best story but I figured Id share it with the rest of you "deer-nuts"...:D

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I constantly drive while scanning both sides of the road. I live in Bergen County and see deer all the time on peoples lawns and in the small woodlots around the towns. Since I commute to work pretty early (5.45am), I tend to see them in the weirdest places.

My favorite story is my korean neighbor who was telling me that something was attacking his trees. I went in his backyard and saw one of the largest buck rubs in my life. I tell him that it's male deer rubbing their antlers and it's something that deer do. He said that he has seen some deer with "things" on their heads but wasnt sure what they were!!!

·
11,226 Posts
Matt, I see those deer along 80 all the time. They don't need much room!
I used to work at Smiles right on the other side of the Ramsey parking lot. One night one of the bartenders comes in crying her eyes out! She said she just hit a deer with her car on Howard Blvd crossing out of hercules. All the guy's are comforting her and telling her it's ok blah blah blah. Then she says the poor thing has these huge horns on it's head! You never saw a bar clear out so fast! Nobody comforting her anymore and a mad race to find this what turned out to be a HUGE 11 point! I didn't see it but from what everyone was saying it was an absolute monster!
I would have liked to see those "things" on it's head! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts