New Jersey Hunters banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
There still is a goat there, I travel over Jugtown Mountain every day for work, there still is one, it's a brown one, west bound side, not always there, but seen one about 2 weeks ago, usually hangs just down from the ridge, keep an eye out you'll see it

·
Banned
5,004 Posts
today April 26 2014 I was passing the mountian going out to the Hamburg reptile show. And on the westbound side and saw the biggest muscular goat/ram I've ever seen in the rocks on I 78 just outside Phillipsburg.
They are still around that area ,my uncle took a picture of one living in a rock bluff last season
Really?

From.......I'm going to say in the mid-1980s through the 1990s I used to see goats up on that Route 78 eastbound side rock ledges, the best way to see them was traveling west into PA.

I grew up in Hunterdon County and probably saw them 7 or 8 times as a kid, it was a little game of ours to always look. I moved from the area after high school for college only to move back last year, and I just assumed they're all dead since its been about 20 years, so I never ever bother to look up there anymore. I guess I will now!

EDIT: Although the poster above claims the goat was on the westbound side? Never have I seen goats on the rocks on that side of the road, they were always on the rocks HIGH ABOVE (you had to crane your neck) on I-78 East.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Yep never saw them on the west always east bound. Not on the top cliffs on top of the mountain always on the second set and usually on the first or second lowest set of bluffs

·
Registered
2 Posts
Saw another goat in southern nj exit 5 on turnpike.

Yep never saw them on the west always east bound. Not on the top cliffs on top of the mountain always on the second set and usually on the first or second lowest set of bluffs
I Janus saw a huge brown goat by exit 5 on the south bound side of the jersey turnpike tonight grazing. Could not believe my eyes.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Rt 78 - Springfield, Exit 49A. Saw a White Goat...Or total Albino Deer along the edge of the highway right before the exit last night. Its very common to see deer in that area so I immediately thought it was a deer...the body looked a bit shorter though, but then again I was zipping past at 80MPH, so did not see perfectly. Anyone ever see this in that area?

·
Registered
4 Posts
The goats you guys are talking about near p burg on 78 are from the goat farm ontop of jugtown mountain. They get loose all the time. I live 10 mins from there

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am visiting from New Orleans and saw a very muscular goat next to I-78. I found this page trying to see if y’all have wild goats here. I’m not completely sure what I saw, but it looked just like the mountain goats that I’ve seen in MT., just without horns.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Jugtown Mountain’s still got goats!

I was traveling 6/3/2018 @ 8:15 AM west on I-78 between Exits 10 & 9 which is the rocky high area of Bethelehem Township in west Hunterdon County, New Jersey. Between the divider and the end of the rocky side of the mountain, there it was!

The goat had straight horns and it’s fur was shades of medium to deeper brown. Although not long haired it’s coat was fuller and not sleek. It appeared to be in good health, eating greenery.

I couldn’t believe my eyes. It was definitely a goat. I figured it probably was a domestic one or it’s ancestors were and somewhere along the way went rogue. I am going to search photos online and provide a link of one like it.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
The goat back in the 1980's got out near my parent's house. I remember searching for it with the farmer. We never found it but, saw it a few times near Route 78. It became a legend in the area. I saw it one time while I was groundhog hunting on the farm that had the property backing up to the highway.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
You wanna see a goat? There’s one in Hackettstown. Escaped from the auction market about a year ago and has been hanging out between the train station and Buck Hill. Townies, including me, see it all the time.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts