New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm a rookie deer hunter and i was hoping to get some advice on hunting in spruce run. i went out last year with two friends during jan. and it rained and snowed on us for 3 days. were sitting still and hunting caz we dont have the funds to get a ground blind. this year however i was able to get a trail cam, and i hope this spot will have some activity.

Tree Woodland Natural environment Nature reserve Woody plant

Map Land lot Tree Ecoregion Urban design

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the cam is in security box and secured to a tree. how smart/dumb are the deer in this area?(scent blocker?) if i should put bate out late season will they come in closer? (shotgun permit) should i be looking at another spot for just in-case nothing shows up on the cam? is their an area that is better for still hunters like myself? should i go and check the plotted fields for deer activity over the next 4 months?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You have more of an advantage in a tree stand you should invest in one.you can spot deer approaching from a greater distance and your also above their noses if elevated high enough
the area that were at is mostly shrubs and trees that we can climb. unless we find another area

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
so, its been 8 long weeks that i have had my cams out and thankfully not stolen :) i did see a big difference when pheasant season opened up. less deer coming my way and many hunters showing up on the cams. most leave the cam alone but of course a few try and mess with it with no luck of taking it. besides deer and people my cams have also spotted a pig, a bobcat, and a fox.
I'M excited that the 6 day firearm is around the corner.
for feed i have just been placing it on the ground, if it gets wet so be it. Now after watching a few corn feed videos i'm wondering if i should put out a pvc pipe with corn in it to try and attract more deer. any thoughts on this? good/bad? not worth the time and effort? does it truly work? I'll b going out during permit shotgun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.