New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm a rookie deer hunter and i was hoping to get some advice on hunting in spruce run. i went out last year with two friends during jan. and it rained and snowed on us for 3 days. were sitting still and hunting caz we dont have the funds to get a ground blind. this year however i was able to get a trail cam, and i hope this spot will have some activity.

WaypointPhoto_1412532322492.jpg

spruce run were we hunted with markings.jpg

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I would not leave a trailcam out anywhere on that WMA especially on weekends. You could not afford a groundblind so I am sure a stolen cam would really hurt. Remember rabbit and squirrel season has opened, so there are some guys wandering around that are not bowhunters. Any of those spots on your map can produce deer.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Spruce Run and Clinton WMA are two different areas. If your talking about bow hunting deer spruce run is a state park and has special regs. see digest.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Spruce Run and Clinton WMA are two different areas. If your talking about bow hunting deer spruce run is a state park and has special regs. see digest.
The spot he's talking about is Clinton WMA property.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the cam is in security box and secured to a tree. how smart/dumb are the deer in this area?(scent blocker?) if i should put bate out late season will they come in closer? (shotgun permit) should i be looking at another spot for just in-case nothing shows up on the cam? is their an area that is better for still hunters like myself? should i go and check the plotted fields for deer activity over the next 4 months?

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
If you have any questions while hunting there just ask the guy sitting next to you. Your camera will be taken, lock box or not. Might as well hold on to the lock box for the next camera you buy.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
If you have any questions while hunting there just ask the guy sitting next to you. Your camera will be taken, lock box or not. Might as well hold on to the lock box for the next camera you buy.
I'll babysit it for him since it's in my backyard [hihi]

Best bet would not to provide arial phots of your hunting area specifying what town or WMA it's in. Like drawing a road map to your gear.
In one sense I guess, but Clinton WMA is like grand central station anyway. Who knows how many people walk past your gear on any given day-some honest, some not.

·
Banned
8,451 Posts
You have more of an advantage in a tree stand you should invest in one.you can spot deer approaching from a greater distance and your also above their noses if elevated high enough

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
If you want to travel to hunt......smoking gun with pick you up in that green semi and drive you down to the pines and show you how to hunt scent free......:ko:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You have more of an advantage in a tree stand you should invest in one.you can spot deer approaching from a greater distance and your also above their noses if elevated high enough
the area that were at is mostly shrubs and trees that we can climb. unless we find another area

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
My mother in law lives close by from Spruce Run. Once small game season starts, all of the big bucks hang out under her bird feeder laughing at all of the hunters including me.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Looks like I just acquired a new trailcam from spruce run

1 - 20 of 22 Posts