New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever hunted Ringwood SP up in Passaic County? This is where I spent a ton of time in the early 80's chasing deer and small game. Also, there is some great fishing up there as well.

The park is pretty large in scope and very rugged but his host to some monster bucks as well as bear.

Just curious if anyone is hunting currently as it is pretty close to my house.

B

·
0 Posts
I've hunted near the park, never really saw alot of deer, but I agree some bruisers in them woods

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I think figuring out a large piece of mature woods like that would take a substantial investment in time and effort.

B

·
0 Posts
My friend Sean hunted a nice wide 8 pointer up there, he's going to show me the spot

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
In the past 5 years I have mountain biked in Ringwood about 50 times. I have only seen about 10 deer in over 100 hours of riding. I usually cover 10 - 20 miles per ride.So I've been all over that place. I have seen alot of Turkeys though.I've heard they have lots of Deer but I haven't seen them.I see alot of Deer in Kittany State park. Almost hit a few with the bike.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
I LIVE 5 MINUTES FROM THERE I HAVE TAKEN MANY DEER FROM THERE A COUPLE OF NICE ONES. AT ANYGIVEN NIGHT IN MY YARD I WILL HAVE 5-15 DEER AT A TIME.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
ONE PROBLEM UP THERE IS THAT SOME PEOPLE SHOOT DEER WHEN EVER THEY WANT AND THEY DO NOT FOLLOW THE 3 POINT RULE.THE WARDENS ARE AWARE OF THIS BUT I REALLY THINK THAT THEY DONT CARE..

·
Registered
751 Posts
I also have logged tons of hours up there on my mt. bike and have only seen a few deer. I actually did plan to hunt up there one year figuring that nobody does but never did. My plan was to ride in on my bike and go over to the bear swamp area and camp overnight. You can get a permit to drive your car up the mountain - past the gate in the parking area beyond the manor house. That would definitely get you closer to the more remote areas and would save a ton of uphill hiking. I have to believe there are some big deer up there but there is so much hiking, biking and horse traffic up there I would think things could get a little frustrating - not to mention dangerous.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I happen to be from Ringwood, and can tell you that as far as the wardens not caring, I can assure you it is quite the opposite.

230Hollowpoint- as far as your comment on the "minies"... MY LAST NAME IS DEGROAT!!!! SO THAT MAKES ME ONE OF THOSE "MINIES" I don't know what your getting at with that comment, but it seems to be more of a negative one.

TONS of people hunt that park, not just the the "minies".... if you wish to "talk" about this further, you can get in touch with me personally.

My email is [email protected]

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
happen to be from Ringwood, and can tell you that as far as the wardens not caring, I can assure you it is quite the opposite.

230Hollowpoint- as far as your comment on the "minies"... MY LAST NAME IS DEGROAT!!!! SO THAT MAKES ME ONE OF THOSE "MINIES" I don't know what your getting at with that comment, but it seems to be more of a negative one.

TONS of people hunt that park, not just the the "minies".... if you wish to "talk" about this further, you can get in touch with me personally.

Geeze, Lighten up Francis

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
There are a lot of nice bucks in all of Passaic County since they activated the three points on one side rule a couple of years ago. As far as the Ringwood State Park is concerned, you have to go to the main office and get an access permit for the Brushwood Pond Area of the park (parking permit). I also have grown up in this area and there is more quality that quantity deer. The park office is located off of Sloatsburg Road.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
I happen to be from Ringwood, and can tell you that as far as the wardens not caring, I can assure you it is quite the opposite.

I apologize for the "Minie" comment.

For those of you who don't know what we are talking about: "Minie is a derogotory term for a group of people who live in a section of Ringwood known as the "Mine Area" The politically correct term is "Ramapo Mountian People". They have been trying to get regognition as a Native American tribe for many years. Do a Google on Ramapo Mountian People if you are interested for more information.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Apologies for sounding harsh.... it seems that I quite frequently have to defend myself and the people from my neighborhood from others who sometimes make off color remarks. I'm glad you know the history behind the region.

Apologies again

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Is Ringwood State Park still open to hunting even though they are cleaning up the superfund site?

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
The superfund site is a small area of the park that is located on the end of Peters Mine Road. The entire park remains open for hunting and whatever else you want to do.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts