New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With shotgun round the corner - I never did get the slug-barrel for the moss.

1) does anyone intend on using buck shot or rifled slugs for 6 day?

2) If rifled slug: which brand, gauge, weight etc...?
(I've been using Winchester 3" and 2 3/4" mags.)

3) Buck shot: 000, 00, 0, 1, 2? I'll be patterning out some #1 vs 00 this sunday.

4) Choke for buckshot: I don't have any of the fancy stuff - just what I've been using: Full, IM, M IC, C.

5) Does anyone using buckshot pack rifled slugs as well?
If so - Does choke type effect the slug?

Limited Observations from past use:

1) I had been getting a consistent pattern out to 30 yards with 00 off a rest. This is with a 28" field barrel w/ full choke.

2) Rifled Slugs (Winchesters) have been pretty good out to 30 yards but I'm dead on at 20 yards (2" groups). I alternated b/w the big field barrel w/ cyl vs an 18 1/2" brush barrel.

3) Out to fifty yards - the field barrel was a bit more consistant off the rest. The brush barrel is inconsistant beyond 30 yards.(3 shot) Groups are about 2" to 4" for the field barrel inside of 30 yards. The brush barrel similarly groups in this range but ammo gets expensive.

4) the short barrel weighs alot less and allows me to stalk into dense woods. The field barrel adds to weight and soaks up the recoil but is best out of the stand.

5) taking hogs with the brush barrel. The 1oz slug is devastating at close range. In Florida and Tx this firearm configuration has proven its worth. At close range with buck-shot it is effective but was suggested that I switch to #1 or #2 buck for extra density and maximum pepper.

Comments appreciated!

·
Registered
587 Posts
With Bucks Shot in most cases, the more open the choke better the pattern. So IC should have a better pattern then Full. Reason is that large shot like Buck Shot will have a inconsistent pattern with a tighter choke. But this can very from shotgun to shotgun.

I have patterned my 12 ga's and found that M and IC chokes are the best bet out to 50 yds and under.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BHC - I'm assuming you are using a slug-gun. I haven't got that far yet. Next year.

Flipper243 - Have you tried to pattern different buck-shot sizes?

I'm thinking the #1 and #2 will pattern better than the 00.

I'm not confident on a 50 yard shot with buck shot - I could do it with the rifled slug. Beyond 50 yards the drop is significant.

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
I use 00 buck with my remington 870, full choke and holds a great pattern over 60 yards.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Yes I have patterned different types, and 00 patterns the best for me.
I have also found out, out of my 12 ga with 3" 00 patterns better than 3 1/2" 00. Even though 3 1/2 has 2 or 3 more pellets.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the comments - I'm testing out some Remington shot as well. I'm limited to 3" and that is plenty of gun.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any Brenneke users?

Heavy Shot buck shot?

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
pla930---Try 3" Winchester 00 Copper Plated---and try it with full and modified chokes..works very well with all of my guns...i also was messing around with rifled slugs the other day (remigton express 2 3/4 rifled slugs) and at 50 yard it was hitting consistent dead center (3inch group) and 2 inches high..this was with an improved choke but i would deffinately tr the copper plated buckshot

max

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks NJ Deer [up]

·
Registered
15,483 Posts
i use mostly 00 buck and never had a problem bringin a deer down last year i got one in the woods at about 40 yards and he went right down

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fort Dix

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Nevermind you are quite a drive from me...i would deffinately give the copperplated a try though..and try it in #1 buck also...it should pattern pretty well

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm in Monmouth County - any suggestions - I could go to assumpink or other WMA's that allow sighting in.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
I have gotten into trouble with my opinion on this before. I don't like buckshot for hunting.

It removes the marksmanship element from deer hunting.

Many hunters take long shots on deer that may be lethel, but the animal goes a long distance with no blood trail before it drops .

The "beyond" part of "be sure of your target and beyond" becomes even more important since many pellets will continue past the target. Two recent hunting accidents in the state involved buckshot. One in Long Valley where another hunter was killed a few years ago; the other where a pellet broke the window on a passing car injuring a little kid.

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
I bought a new gun this year and it has a cantilever scope mount and is rifled set spot on at 75 yards. Last year I was using a smooth bore Winchester auto loader with a full choke and firing 2 3/4" 000.
It was paterning all 8 pellets in a paper plate at up to 45 yards. As for me I try to hunt the six day like I do bow the closer the better. for buck shot my farthest shot was 25 yards. I borrowed my uncles slug gun one year and head shot a doe at 90 yards with a scope. I won't try a shot that far on state land.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts