New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, all. I've got a leather sling I made (and another just like it soon) up for sale or trade. These are the first attempts, and they came out nice but not perfect. I'm also my harshest critic...

The swivels in the picture don't come with it.

It's vegetable tanned leather, and pretty thick. The adjustment points are aluminum Chicago screws.

I'm not looking to get rich here. Call it 25 dollars each or trade for .410 or 12 ga. field loads? Or any other interesting small trades?

One's ready DSCF6006.jpg DSCF6007.jpg DSCF6008.jpg and the next will be by tomorrow evening.

I'm in the Hackettstown / Long Valley area.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Almost 300 people had a look and no bites? I had fun making them, but I don't need 'em.

Offers? Trades? I promise I'm not gonna kill the ad and repost it at a higher price...Kidding, sorry dude if you see this.

·
Registered
206 Posts
These are nice.... aluminum chicago screws don't look as nice as brass but I bet they don't get that funky green gunk around them either.... if you were a little closer I'd grab one.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It doesn't, but now we're making progress. Feedback is good.

I can sew another layer of leather smooth side out for a shoulder surface. I could probably layer some padding in the middle also.

Would it make a difference to anyone if I found some sheepskin to experiment with facing it with?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow - I've been so slammed I forgot about this. Sorry 'bout that! I started making a padded face for one of them and ran out of skill. The carve for the thread joining the 2 pieces came out too uneven for my sense of humor.

I did finish up the plain one and mooshed it around enough to break it in so it's nice and soft. I just stuck it on my shotgun and forgot about it.

If you're interested in the plain one, I'll snap a quick picture this evening and measure the min and max lengths.

Thanks for the kick in the butt.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
U want something on the inside that has a little "grip" so the sling isn't always sliding of yr shoulder....maybe inside face???

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
DSCN0067.jpg DSCN0068.jpg DSCN0069.jpg Here's how the keeper wound up - the inside should have plenty of traction on your shoulder. I'm really bummed I killed the other one, but my talents don't meet my own standards all the time. Working on it...

The max length is right around 36". I copied another old sling that I liked.

Thanks for looking. I'd be more than happy to leave this one on the gun, but I offered it up a while ago and I can always make another one over the winter. It doesn't come with the swivels.

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah to all.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks. You can see that particular gun isn't exactly "stealthy" looking anyway. Just a fun piece I restored. Also, the only dye I had was black and I didn't want to turn this one black.

If I ever get good (and fast) at this, I'll set up to take orders on color and style. For now, it's just tinkering.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I like to use CVLIFE 2 Point Sling and these hunting rifle slings are compatible with a variety of weapons and provide matchless comfort over many excursions. This gun strap package includes 1X2 point slings, 1 swivel and mount, 1 wrench, 4 locking nuts, and 4 screws.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts