New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just out of curiosity......has anyone here shot a safari size rifle like a .416 or .500 nitro or 375 H&H mag., 350 Marlin. I have only shot a rifle up to .270. Not interested in getting anything bigger but see people in Cabelas buying elephant guns I guess for a collection. Curious as to how bad is the recoil?

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
Recoil is very much an indiviual thing. What is bad for one is not really bad for another.

I own and shoot a .340 Weatherby mag. It has some snot to it but is not objectionable at all.
I've shot .458 Win mags. There is a bit of a whack with heavy loads, but again it can be handled.

Some people complain about 12 ga. slugs. It all depends on the person.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
I shot a 416 Rigby and it did have a real kick but nothing you can't deal with. I Rifle hunt with a 338 Win Mag and don't mind the kick. As was said what may not bother some may bother another. I shot a 30-06 P-17 WW I bolt action that had a solid kick. But the thing was it was hard on my shoulder just due to the shape of the stock.

B

·
0 Posts
recoil is so fast, it doesn't bother me....the biggest cal. I shot was from my .300 WIN MAG

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
I shot my friends .375H&H. This particular gun has a muzzle brake. The recoil wasn't bad...about the same as my muzzle loader with 150 grains Triple 7. Definitally no where near as bad as 12 ga 3" turkey loads

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
I've shot many big bore rifles. The reacoil is "noticeable".
The biggest express rifle I've shot is .470. OUCH!
If you've shot a 12 ga slug you'll get the idea.
Imagine what an 8 bore must be like!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts