New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently been told that urban towns like mine will no longer issue or replace Firearms I.D. cards under any circumstances.
I still have My NJ Firearms I.D. card that I obtained here in Irvington in 1979. It's getting fairly shabby and worn out from carry. I laminated it and shops still take it but I'd like to get a fresh one.
If I go down to Civic Square are they going to take this from me and then somehow deny me a replacement? Anyone have recent experience getting a replacement card in towns like mine? I have no disqualifications. Thanks.

·
11,226 Posts
Welcome to the boards SignalGuy. I don't know the answer to your question but I'm sure someone here will be able to give you some info on the topic! If I find anything out I will be sure to let you know! Again welcome and I hope to see you around the boards![up]

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
They must, by law, issue you a firearms ID card if you are eligible. If they refuse to go to a lawyer specializing in NJ firearms laws (Evan Nappen).

Then, with thw winnings from the lawsuit, go out and buy many guns.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
How long is too long to wait for a firearms ID card. I have had my application in for over two months now(prob more like 3) and I have heard nothing from my local police station. I know that it takes some time but this is getting kind of ridiculous. I am going to call the station tom. to see what the hold up is. I mean the worst thing on my record is one speeding ticket. I dont get how this can take so long. Any advice on how I can speed this process up?

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
MS,
By law they must turn it around in 30 days. Unfortunately, most police stations don't care about the law and there is not much you can do about it.

Keep calling the police station every couple of days. Squeeky wheel.

B

·
0 Posts
It's not that they don't care, it's more like people really don't know about that 30 day law, and on top of that most wouldn't push the subject anyway

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Explain something to me... I put in for a replacement ID due to change of address. It took like 5 months to get it. Other than bitching and complaining to them, what could I have done? Also, does this 30 day rule apply to handgun permits?

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
Explain something to me... I put in for a replacement ID due to change of address. It took like 5 months to get it. Other than bitching and complaining to them, what could I have done? Also, does this 30 day rule apply to handgun permits?
Yes, the 30 day law applies to handguns as well. Again, there is not much you can do but contact a lawyer. Also, keep copies of any letters sent to the PD so you have a paper trail.

Bitching and complaining (politely) is usually the only thing you can do. Also call your references and make sure they sent the forms back quickly. You may want to show up in person and ask to talk to the Chief. It's a good idea to get to know the Chief of police in your town anyway.

BTW, the 30 day statute is N.J.S 2C:58-3(f) if you want to reference it in your letters.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Well, Now I am happy. the police dept. called yesterday and let me know I can come pick up my firearms ID card after three wonths fo waiting. Off to the store this afternoon to look at some shotguns. Thank god!!!!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you guys are pissed that it takes three months, then stand up for yourselves. When the time of 30 working days has passed, go to the cop shop and ask where your card is. When they say the paperwork hasn't come back yet. Tell them they better have it tomorrow (politely, non-threatening). When they don't, file a writ of mandamus forcing them to act on your application. If you are not disqualified, you will get your card/pistol permits. By the way it is 45 days for non-residents. No more bitching, either stand up and be a man or wither away waiting rediculous amounts of time. The laws says 30 days!!!!!! You will have to do some paperwork, but it puts the cops in their place and they might be perturbed, but they will respect you after you have shown them you are well informed in firearms law and will not stand for any political antics. The writ costs 40 USD if I remember.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
The law states 30 days, you are correct. BUT, there have been a few court cases, the most recent from Somerset Cty in regards to the 30 day law.
The judges have ruled and they have been upheld that if the 30 days passes and the investigation by the NJSP or local PD is not complete, they don't have to and should NOT issue the card or permit.
Because the law requires a complete background investigation to be done.

Now, some of the biggest reasons for cards being held up are: References don't send back the letters, fingerprints don't come back in a timely manner, problems with the appl. None of these are the PD's fault. Then throw in the occasional anti gun attitude of some departments and Chief's and you have all your answers as to why it takes so long.:p

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
If you have an issue with your FID card The Association of NJ Rifle and Pistol clubs want to know about it and can help.

Contact ANJRRC Legal Affairs Committee member Mike Bodner @ 973-293-8239

1 - 15 of 15 Posts