New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've spent the last few weekends changing stand straps and getting things together for the opener....made a point to pick up my son a new harness, and sure enough while setting new straps on and old lockon at the farm last night, he was kneeling on the platform, with his arms around the tree trying to hook up the new strap, when the old one on top let loose. The stand tipped and flipped over on the bottom old strap, and he was bear hugging the tree with all his might....I was laughing hard since he was strapped in, harness secure, and his safetyline only had about 4 inches of slack in it...I told to let go of the damn tree and fix the stand....and he promptly did so, hanging by the seat of his pants from his harness.....I think he now knows how important that harness is....We had 3 deaths and 2 serious injuries in NJ last year from tree stand falls with no harness.....The season opens in a week and a wakeup. Lets try and make it "0" this year. ALWAY WEAR A HARNESS when climbing up, down, or otherwise sitting on stand!!!

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
check out all my gear the other day, and went over my harness with a fine tooth comb. all good. never [USED] mine, but when I need it I want it there.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I used the linemans strap while attaching my ladder this year (first year using a loc on) and was amazed at how nice it was. It literally made it easier to strap the ladder to the tree.

Also - most harnesses have an expiration date. Mine is a 5 year expiration - make sure you check yours out.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
For a low cost, high quality harness, check out the Black Diamond Alpine Bod Harness. Stays out of the way and will have you facing tree in the case of a fall.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Just curious for what others do this in this situaiton. I hunt both private land and at a hunt club both with ladder stands. On the private land, I leave purssic knot system up all season, so I'm hooked on from ground to top; while hunting; and back down. Very secure. But, at the hunt club, the ladders stands are shared so I hunt from different stands each time.

So, I climb up not hooked onto anything. When I get up, I hook on my tree strap and I'm connected to the tree for my entire hunt. Then, when leaving, I unhook, remove the tree strap and climb down. So, I'm not connected to the tree when going up and down (which I don't feel too great about). I assume hooking to the actual ladder during ascent and descent is a bad idea....I imagine if I fell I'd probably pull the whole ladder down with me. Any other ideas? They are secure ladder stands so it's not like I"m using a climber to go up and down w/o a strap..

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Everyone know's at least one Knucklehead who never wear's a safety harness.This year make it a point to mention it to them. Not only for their own safety but for their family as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts